Anyone hear of Labwork carburetors?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Chinese knockoffs are cargo cult reverse engineered, its similar to cheating on a test with a answer sheet with little to no understanding of the questions or why the answers are right. They just pretty much blindly opy whatever they are cloning.

It seems like according to Lars in the link, these knockoff Qjets are setup to run excessive rich to mask problems, similar to reman carbs that we are warned to stay away from. Real OEM spec Qjets are not universal fit, they are highly application specific units.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
an ultrasonic cleaner, they can do wonder
No, I don't know anyone with one of those. Best I can get is a tumbler/polisher. I opened the carb and can't even move the float. Everything is corroded solid. I could compare it to a crab trap left in salt water for years. Right now I have it soaking in a tub of Permatex Carb and Choke Cleaner. That is the 'good stuff' from years gone by. I don't expect it to be recoverable but might as well try. That is why I ordered the Labwork CB100 carb. If it at least runs that is way better than what we have right now. What I did notice among the carbs available, was some printing on the side. The Labwork carbs and some of the others all had these number codes which at least means someone specified the carbs for a particular application. Probably all made by the same place, Labwork or whomever.
s-l960.webp

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Through the patent office, drop shippers just make up a name so it can be trademarked in compliance with Amazon's and some others. If things go bad ... Close up shop re-appear with new name.

Labworks (TM) is actually a software company. We used them all the way back to 1995 to run Visual Programing Suite PLC controls for chemical mixing system. https://labworks.com/

The Q Jet you show, I haven't tried one yet. Was thinking about it just as a curious venture and see how it does. It looks good, but for now I'm just sticking with Holley and GM.

Reactions: 1 user

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I still used berryman carb cleaner yet from time to time. Probably similar to the permatex stuff. A guy i use to work with said pinesol works good cleaning carbs too. He did some ct70 refurbishing.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Through the patent office, drop shippers just make up a name so it can be trademarked in compliance with Amazon's and some others. If things go bad ... Close up shop re-appear with new name.

Labworks (TM) is actually a software company. We used them all the way back to 1995 to run Visual Programing Suite PLC controls for chemical mixing system. https://labworks.com/

The Q Jet you show, I haven't tried one yet. Was thinking about it just as a curious venture and see how it does. It looks good, but for now I'm just sticking with Holley and GM.
Labwork is not the same as Labworks

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
An ultrasonic cleaner seems like it would be a good investment for anyone who rebuilds carbs on the regular. And they seem to be relatively affordable for the home DIYer these days. A quick search on that jungle website yields quite a selection in various sizes, and even hobo freight has one for a decent price though the one they have looks to be more than adequately sized for small engine carbs I'm not sure that it would comfortably accommodate your typical automotive carb like a q jet or a Holley.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
No, I don't know anyone with one of those. Best I can get is a tumbler/polisher. I opened the carb and can't even move the float. Everything is corroded solid. I could compare it to a crab trap left in salt water for years. Right now I have it soaking in a tub of Permatex Carb and Choke Cleaner. That is the 'good stuff' from years gone by. I don't expect it to be recoverable but might as well try. That is why I ordered the Labwork CB100 carb. If it at least runs that is way better than what we have right now. What I did notice among the carbs available, was some printing on the side. The Labwork carbs and some of the others all had these number codes which at least means someone specified the carbs for a particular application. Probably all made by the same place, Labwork or whomever.
s-l960.webp
Pictorially, that looks very much like either an Amal concentric carb from a Triumph or BSA or a VM 32/34 Mikuni Barrel Slide carburetor such as was offered for snow machines and various japanese rides. The only apparent difference seems to be that the float bowl is held in place by a bale or spring clip rather than drilled for hold down screws.

Nick

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
very much like either an Amal
Yes, back then the Japs shamelessly copied the Amal carb. I had an Amal on my BSA. Too bad they also stupidly copied the Lucas electrical systems. Bad choice.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor