Axle Play...How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Had my rear end rebuilt. Moser axles and a Detroit TruTrac were among parts installed. Upon driving, I noticed a clunking sound going over bumps and occasionally when making turns. Took it back to the shop where they noticed what they think is excessive slop in the differential gears. They could move the pinion and after contact with the ring, the pinion would rotate another 10* before the axles would start to spin. Also, the axles have in/out movement of at least 1/4". I can hear them move by vigorously rocking the back of the car. Called up Eaton to inquire about their warranty and the tech I spoke to expressed that this is normal and not to worry. I am worried and want a third opinion.

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
should only be 5 thous slop in ring and pinion max. My axles were sloppy..replaced c clips and spider gears fixed that.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
gpguy said:
should only be 5 thous slop in ring and pinion max. My axles were sloppy..replaced c clips and spider gears fixed that.
I've had everything replace except the c clips. The TruTrac has it's own set of gears that eleminate the factory spider gears. There almost no slop between the ring and pinion. It's between the ring and differential gears.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
So to rephrase my last post. The slop seems like it's between the AXLE and differential.
Further research has turned up that some of the F-body guys have the same axle end play problem with Moser axles. Apparently the c clip groove was machined wider than stock. Has anyone here experienced excessive axle end play with Moser axles, regardless of carrier?

Also, I came across this from another forum,
"The solution one guy came up with was to use external snap rings to take up the space between the c-clip and it's groove. He placed the snap rings in the outer most part of the c-clip groove and then placed the c-clip on the inner side near the side gear. This effectively took up the slack and tighened up the endplay to a very acceptable .005". The snap rings are made of "spring steel" and are apparently quite strong, he reported no issues after extensive testing with the snap ring setup."
Any thoughts about this "solution"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor