bad u joint or belt seperation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
I went from my stock olds 14" wheels to some cragar ss' s that are 15" with cooper cobra tires. I get a vibration after like 55 that is worse when im off the throttle than it is when im on it.. and when i put it in neutral the vibration almost goes away.. is it possible that the u joint was bad and it got worse with bigger tires and I could feel it more? The tires are used but are almost brand new tread wise

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
79cutlasssalon442 said:
I went from my stock olds 14" wheels to some cragar ss' s that are 15" with cooper cobra tires. I get a vibration after like 55 that is worse when im off the throttle than it is when im on it.. and when i put it in neutral the vibration almost goes away.. is it possible that the u joint was bad and it got worse with bigger tires and I could feel it more? The tires are used but are almost brand new tread wise

are you sure your wheels were perfectly balanced after tire installation? i had a similar issue when i got bigger tires.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Not too sure on how to check a u joint for play honestly. But the guy that balanced them said the back tires moved up and down as they were spun while the rim stayed in one spot

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the tires are bad then why did you put them on?. Did he try to rotate the tires on the rim to get rid of the wobble?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Not too sure on how to check a u joint for play honestly. But the guy that balanced them said the back tires moved up and down as they were spun while the rim stayed in one spot

The only time I have ever seen that is when Discount Tire mounted my slicks with tubes and used so much baby powder that it settled in one spot and even though the tires balanced out you could see it going up and down on the machine. Well now I run drag radials which eliminates that possibility.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Check u-joints? Wiggle them around... if they move around at all they have play...

Tire moving up & down in relation to the wheel? Sounds like separation/old/flat spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor