bent

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
hey guys. i was on the way home earlier this morning and i hit a pothole about 6 in. deep and about the size of 2 or 3 basketballs across. well in doing so i bent one of my front chrome 14" SSII rallye rims. good thing i got 5 extras sitting in the shed :) any ways i had some small rubberband 190/60/14 tires on it at the time. ive got SSIII w/215/70/14 on the back now. im thinking the front ones were a little on the small side for winter driving. what size tires should i get for the fronts or should i just go ahead and replace all 4 of them now? also w/ the flat front tire, the front sat so low i couldnt get the bottle jack under it so the cop that was there lifted the front up a lttle bit and put my jack right at the bottom of the fender right behind the wheel. so now i have a smashed and bowed fender. ive already contacted the county about getting some repayment for the rim and tire that i popped on their roads. any ideas on tire sizes that would look good and be a decent size? tia

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for winter driving the skinnier tire is better...a wide tire deceases the pounds per square inch and will ride on top of the snow instead of slicing through it like a skinnier tire will......did I spell skinnier right?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
That sucks man! I'd run a set of 215/70/14 all around. It'll make it easier and you can rotate them so they'll last longer. The difference between a 190 and a 215 isn't much so your not going to sacrifice a staggered look. What are your other tires like? If its about time, I'd just get all 4. Otherwise just buy a new set for up front! What does the wheel look like? I'd like to see that :shock:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think the 215's would be too wide depending on the tread and you can run it on it on a bit lower tire pressure in the snow....you want to make sure you got good traction in the front so you can make U-turns real easy..lol

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You'd want to get a 70 profile tire, it will make it slightly taller and you'll be less likely to smash up your wheel if you hit something. Let me know what you decide :D

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
SBCregal said:
If I had 5 extra rims in a shed and winter was coming, I'd go out and buy 4 snow tires for the extra rims, and have summer tires as well. Theres no comparison to having a decent set of snows on in the winter, and having them mounted on wheels already makes it a real quick and easy change come spring time. That way you can get a good summer tire, and a good winter tire instead of having to compromise in either season.

Ryan
Thats not a bad idea! Winter tires typically are more affordable, and they have a lower speed rating. You could get some sporty summer tires with a more agressive street tread.
That rim looks bad, no wonder it wont hold air... the bead is smashed through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor