Bleeding Rear Wheel Brake Cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
I just replaced the shoes, pads, master cylinder (I bench bled it), and rear wheel cylinders on my 80 Malibu. On the rear wheel cylinder the bleeder screw is not accessible with a wrench, AWESOME :evil: design!. I can get a socket on it but, I have had no luck after 2 attempts to bleed the air out of it. I can't find any speed bleeders locally, I have to order them. I also cannot find any longer bleeder screws. 8mmx1.25 must be an odd size. Does anyone have any tricks of the trade that might help me? I have not tried gravity bleeding. Honestly never done it and not sure on the correct way to try it. Would love to get it done this weekend. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to gravity bleed open the right rear cylinder first, you always start with the wheel furthest from the master. Once the fluid starts to come out you'll notice when the air is gone by no bubbles in the catch container. Do each wheel independently and you might have to do it again to get all the air out. For the speed bleeders I have found them on the help rack at a local parts store

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
pontiacgp said:
to gravity bleed open the right rear cylinder first, you always start with the wheel furthest from the master. Once the fluid starts to come out you'll notice when the air is gone by no bubbles in the catch container. Do each wheel independently and you might have to do it again to get all the air out. For the speed bleeders I have found them on the help rack at a local parts store

Thanks, I am going to try gravity bleeding. Have to learn how sometime. LOL As for the help section, they had all sizes BUT the 8mmx1.25. Not sure why this size is so odd. Was just searching if there was another trick or idea out there :D
thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I forgot to mention when gravity bleeding you need a beer to enjoy while you wait... :)

Rusty Nutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2014
Jonesborough Tn
"If" the proportioning valve is tripped it will need to be reset or you will never get fluid the the wheel cylinders.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think this is a great video explaining the proportion vavle

[youtube]pRtJ1QwZjWk[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor