BMW V12 Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Just out of curiousity for the people who think its stupid. Why do you feel that way? It's a V12. Its ok to drop a Cadillac motor in gbody(which i am still considering) because its gm? Aren't they using the gm transmissions in austin martins and other eurpeon vehicles?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have no problem with b*st*rd swaps, per se ( I want to build a VW TDi urged East German Trabant 601, after all!). However, there are issues with that particular engine that you are not seeing. Note the GM prototype Caprice with the BMW engine in the original post. Why did GM do it? It was to learn about BMW's world's first E-throttle technology. So, you have the engine that got the world's first e throttle and you want to swap that into a G body? Oh, did I mention that the BMW 7 series SOHC V12 uses two seperate ECU's-one for each bank of cylinders? So, it is possible to have your V12 turn into a L6 when one of them fails....and they DO fail-a lot. As for putting it in an E-30, it's cool but difficult. Many in the E-30 community prefer the LSX instead of the Bavarian uber motor.

You could also use a Jag V12 as well. Those are cheap to buy, but you will be haunted continually by the Prince of Darkness himself- Joseph Lucas.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
kingcolbert83 said:
Just out of curiousity for the people who think its stupid. Why do you feel that way? It's a V12. Its ok to drop a Cadillac motor in gbody(which i am still considering) because its gm? Aren't they using the gm transmissions in austin martins and other eurpeon vehicles?

It's not really practical, as there are other engines that will produce more power that will be more compatible, less costly, and overall more appropriate to put into an american muscle car. A 350, a 383 stroker, a big block crate. As for engines from other cars, why not a corvette or a viper engine (v10)? I think the main thing is the stereotype that european V8 engines just don't measure up to american powerplants. I admit, I said stereotypes, not saything that they actually don't.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I'd also like to install an IRL Olds 3.5L Aurora engine in a G-body Olds. I think that would be pretty sweet. 8)

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
But if everyone in the automotive world did what was practical, we'd all be driving a Prius. Sometimes being different is worth the extra work, time and money.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
FE3X CLONE said:
And yet there are so many that'll put a Chevy in an Olds. ;)

I say do it. A project I'd like to take on is a Mercedes V12 into a G-body.
Just add turbos and a carbotanium hood and you have a redneck Pagani Zonda! :lol:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
FE3X CLONE said:
But if everyone in the automotive world did what was practical, we'd all be driving a Prius. Sometimes being different is worth the extra work, time and money.
Yes FE3X, you are right, sometimes different can be worth it. However, there is a flaw in your statement.

The BMW M3 is actually more economical than a Prius, as shown in this video. :p

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor