Body and paint experts get in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
So I don't have much money left and I really need to fix the rust the keeps creeping up under the paint one my roof and the bottom of my fenders mostly the roof because everytime it rains it leaks! :( can you guys list steps on how to fix this problem

Attachments

• SAM_4085.JPG
    SAM_4085.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,470
  • SAM_4084.JPG
    SAM_4084.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,485
  • SAM_4083.JPG
    SAM_4083.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,471

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in that section of the roof it was reshaped with a hammer and smoothed out with bondo. I had a friend who rebuilt one and he showed me the hammer marks on that corner that needed to round off to the radius of the back window. Yours look strange tho, it's not really rounded to the contour of the window and looks to be almost the stock roof but the other side looks rounded. The conversion was done by outside production so I don't know where you can get the rear window seals if you need them

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
To fix it properly, you'll have to blast the metal clean, cut out the rust and weld in new metal.
For that damage on the roof the interior and rear windows will have to come out.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Blake442 said:
To fix it properly, you'll have to blast the metal clean, cut out the rust and weld in new metal.
For that damage on the roof the interior and rear windows will have to come out.

Oh sh*t! That sounds like its gonna be a pain in the *ss!

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
So does anyone know any easy fixes we could do just to stop the leaking? Taking the rear window out and welding new metal sounds like something thatd have to be done by a body shop. So yeah, like I asked, how can we fix the leak without removing the rear window?

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Sand it down to bare metal and build it back up with this. Its Not going to be right unless you actually cut it out but if your cutting corners this might help.

Attachments

• IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,394
  • IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,379

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Blake442 said:
If you don't want it to leak, the only solution other than fixing it properly is keeping the car inside...

x2...if you do a quick repair it'll end up taking you more time to fix it properly.....

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
Blake442 said:
If you don't want it to leak, the only solution other than fixing it properly is keeping the car inside...

x2...if you do a quick repair it'll end up taking you more time to fix it properly.....

X3..I agree with these guys...or throw a tarp over it. I assume the car is left outside? I wouldn't do a half-assed job on it.
It's just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor