Brake???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauwie Wauwie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2012
Hey guys this morning I was about to take the cuty out for a drive, and it wasn't until 5 mins I notice it took more effort to brake and my brake light pop up. I was thinking it could be air in there? Have anyone experience this

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'd look for a leak, check all the brake lines especially along the frame.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
By more effort, do you mean the brake pedal is physically harder to push? Or do you mean it is taking longer to stop?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oh yeah, and the brake light goes on when one side fails, either front or rear, or total failure of the master.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Bonnewagon said:
Oh yeah, and the brake light goes on when one side fails, either front or rear, or total failure of the master.
uh...what was the OP's question....All I can seem to focus on is this chics chest growing and shrinkin...lol

DeltaDevil88

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2011
Dallas,TX
At least your idiot lights work :D

Start at your master cylinder check the fluid level and for leaks then check your lines that you can on the frame

After that remove the wheels and see what you find.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I learned a redneck way of checking brake issues awhile ago. Take vice grips and crimp each brake RUBBER hose then apply the brake. If the pedal is stiff and doesnt wanna move then your good. If the pedal descends then you either have a master cylinder issue or a leak which at this point in the test will be very obvious and easy to find. This is also a good way to determine how good your rubber hoses are :lol:

Mauwie Wauwie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2012
dan2286 said:
By more effort, do you mean the brake pedal is physically harder to push? Or do you mean it is taking longer to stop?
Both . I don't know if the rubber molding that sits in the brake fluid reservoir is suppose to sit flush because when I put the rubber molding is crumpled when I put that cap on. I don't know if this could be a factor because the fluid spills out sometimes.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm reading that the rubber seal on the master cylinder cover is "crumpled", is that correct? Has that seal swelled up to a larger size than the cover? Have you added any fluid to the brake system recently, and if so, exactly what type of fluid did you add? I'm wondering if there is some contamination of the fluid, that's causing the crumpled seal, and poor brake performance concerns. Just so you know, the only type of fluid that should go into a brake system is brake fluid. If you add any type of petroleum based fluid, it will cause all of the rubber parts to swell up, and you're looking at major brake system repairs. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor