Cam you dig it?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If you do go with the 400, i know where a forged 327 crank is. It is 3.25 stroke. Makes a 352 there or about with +30 over bore.

Using a 350 crank gets you about 377 which was old school NASCAR build, but not used any more. 30 over bore gets you 4.155 which is a lot of meat, but wind that up to 7000, would be fun street car.
400 bore times 327 stroke makes 352?? That just about lines up with the book math that says it works out to around 350. Ironic thing here is that I already happen to have a 327 forged crank and it is sitting in that 400 block that I also happen to have :D. Only thing I am not sure of at this point is whether that crank happens to be the late model large journal or the earlier small journal version that needs inserts behind the bearings to space them correctly.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
64Nailhead, not sure why you are lumping me in with the haters as most of the engines that I run are 305's of one generation or another. The only reason that this thread came about was to investigate whether or not the Isky 256H had a roller equivalent and so far not looking so good.

I did manage to identify a possible candidate from Howards
Howards Cams Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifter Kits CL111145-10

Howards Cams Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifter Kits CL111145-10​

5 out of 5 stars ( 1 )

Part Number: HRS-CL111145-10

A check of the compatibility chart says it will fit the Gen I 305 but suggests an 1800 stall converter. No mention seems to be made about manual transmissions as the intended recipient is the 305 in my Monte which has a Muncie 4spd bolted up to it. The price is fairly decent and the detail sheet does not suggest heavier springs or roller rockers. I would probably need different push rods.

Anyone ever run any of the Howards products and, if so, thoughts about them??

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If you do go with the 400, i know where a forged 327 crank is. It is 3.25 stroke. Makes a 352 there or about with +30 over bore.

Using a 350 crank gets you about 377 which was old school NASCAR build, but not used any more. 30 over bore gets you 4.155 which is a lot of meat, but wind that up to 7000, would be fun street car.
One of the earliest mix 'n;' match stroker combinations using factory components. The 377 had a rep for being a high winding motor whereas the 383, which was the 350 block with the 400 stroke, was more of a torque monster. Since torque tends to equal victory in the stop light wars, the 383 ended up being more popular. Since the 327 crank and the 350 may have had the same main journal measurements Moving from my 327 to the 350 is not all that great an exercise. Could probably find a 350 crank on Amazon! Just would have to be extremely careful of its pedigree.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor