Can you polish a turd ?

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
Well its been 8 years since I last worked on my cutlass project . At the time I was transfering a t roof into a rust free shell .well after leaving it in the talk grass for 8 years I decided to carry on . Well my rust free shell is now a rusted turd . I have been looking for a complete floor pan as this formerly rust free floor has turned to into a big turd
I decided to make a point of making a car out of this project anyways and will be carrying on as the project was already started and if I dont do it now I never will
mMore tofollow

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It's always a daunting task. Take it one small step at a time and keep plugging away. 30 minutes EVERY day goes a lot further than you think.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Unless the car is special to you , cut your losses and move on .
It’ll be several more years and and a truck load of cash to get that car to where it would be worth 10-15 k
Myth busters proved that you can indeed polish a turd , but in this case it will take more than handling a fist sized ball of sh*t

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Probably pass it on unless it has sentimental value. I bought a camaro that looked great , rare options but needs floors. It is so much to do floors in those i regret buying it

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
And time, lots of time and effort.
I have about 2-2500 in paint materials. I just spent 1100 on clear,base and epoxy primer. Its been down in my garage since December 19'.
With that said, if your set on fixing it. Id pull it in the garage and take out the interior to really inspect the floors, pay attention to the body mounts, wheelhouses( where the wheel well meets the trunk floor) the back seat has a brace under it where the seat turns down to the floor.
It attaches to the #4 body mounts and the inner rocker. Check all the drip rails, and window channels too.
This will give you an idea of the can of worms you'll most likely be opening. Any pics of the car?

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor