Cant find solution to NO HEADLIGHTS in 1983 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

80$BABY330

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2012
I have a 1983 Cutlass Sedan, and my headlights quit on me. Worked fine earlier that day, then that night-no lights.
Changed all of the fuses that were bad, none of wich were labled headlights, HDLMP, HDLTS or anything to that nature...
no headlights. Just bought brand new switch, popped off switch bezel, changed switch and nothing. In addition I just realized that there is no light in the dash eighther, since it normaly only comes on when headlights are on or maybe when dimmer switch is "clicked on". What am I missing? Im begining to think the HL fuse is not blade style, or there is secret fuse block somewhere. Please help if you have any ideas. :!: :?:

84buickregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2012
i dont know if ur cars like my buick but when i put the last motor in it i pulled the wire off the starter on the s post and my head lights or none of the interior lights would work got back under it hooked it up and they came right on. might be something worth checking?

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Any recent changes to the car, or notice anything odd prior to the lights going out? I tend to agree with 84buickregals' idea that it has to do with a main wire or the fusible link to the starter. If you made any changes, this might be a good place to start looking.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
Check the power coming out of the headlight switch and go from there.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Ive had this problem a couple of times usually on cars that had starters replaced and not routing the wires far enough away from the Exhaust manifold. The headlights are not ran thru a fuse, they get straight power from the battery.

Your probably going to find sum wires with the insulation burned up near your starter.

Hope this helps :D

80$BABY330

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2012
Thanx for the tips, the only thing that really stands out is that the park lights dash light and headlights dont work(no night cruisin in this freakish spring-like Ohio weather) :cry:
I did install a starter over a year ago, so that may very well be the problem. Cant wait to get off work and pull out the jack stands.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. It ended up being my headlight dimmer switch down on the lower column turns out the rod that sits in wasn't in right and ended up messing with how my headlights worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor