charging after ramping up rmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
the only way i can get my alternator to charge is to ramp up the rpm around 3000. this happens every time i start it. what can i do to fix this? :?
wanted to add i have rally gauges.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Need to answer some Qs;

1. Have you put a voltmeter on it? (Is the gauge reliable?)
2. What does it show at idle?
3. Do you have a high current draw? (blower motor, elec fans?)
4. underdrive pullies?
5. tested alternator?
6. battery decent?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Have you changed any wiring on the car from stock? Is the alternator a stock unit? What about you're gauges, did you convert to ralley gauges or are they stock?
What you're describing is a trait of an aftermarket 1-wire alternator. On a stock setup the bulb for the charge light provides a load that the alternator can sense and kicks in the charging when the car is started.
You can also add a resistor in the wiring at the alternator to do the same thing. I had to go this route when swapped out my cluster and didn't have the charge light any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor