Column Shift Indicator not working right...Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Took out my gauge console to put in a tach. When I put it back in, the shift indicator moves fine when shifting into gear but the spring won't pull it back any further than neutral. If I tap the linkage it'll eventually return to P. The spring had plenty of tension when the console was out. I routed the linkage back the way I thought I remembered it being. Is this correct?
shiftlink.jpg

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Pull it out again, you obviously pinched the sliding mechanism. If the spring pulls it to P with a tap then it's fine. It's rubbing somewhere.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
You shouldn't be able to see the cable at all. In the picture, it's coming out and over the dashboard, and that's what's pincing it. It should stay back behind the dash.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
azmalibuwagon said:
You shouldn't be able to see the cable at all. In the picture, it's coming out and over the dashboard, and that's what's pincing it. It should stay back behind the dash.

x2

It just connects to the column with a slide on clip I believe. So when you re route it, if it's off. Just slide the clip over until it all lines up.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Phoenyx said:
azmalibuwagon said:

x3

It just connects to the column with a slide on clip I believe. So when you re route it, if it's off. Just slide the clip over until it all lines up.

X1

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Got it working. I remember it looping across the column somehow but couldn't remember which opening it went through.
Next time I'll be patient and think it through before posting. I think I was just frustrated from sitting upside down for twenty minutes looking for the little screw that connects the wires to the back of the cluster, it had fallen into the abyss...

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
lol, it happens to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor