Cooling fan info for the Maliwagon

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I too need to change out my electric fans. From what I’m seeing on that thread that was posted, LT1 fans are the way to go. It gets mighty hot here in AZ and my fans struggle to keep that 383 cool. What vehicle should the LT1 fans come from? I’ll open up a new thread for some help wiring them when I pick up the fans.
LT1 Fbody. Wiring diagrams all over google, 3 Relay low/high speed just need to figure out how you want to control it. I have mine controlled by the computer and make adjustments with my laptop.

Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I currently use a sending unit in the intake manifold. I have no computer in the car.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Sending unit just relays a signal of resistance to tell "something" what the temperature is. You'll need some kind of controller to control the electric fans based on that temperature.

Most aftermarket ones I've seen have a controller with a probe in the Radiator.

• Agree

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
You can look up the cfm a stock clutch fan makes on Heavy Duty clutch’s. Both on BB and SB even on the early Chevy diesels. Then look at what an electric fan system makes. Preferably with a shroud to allow good pull (I prefer a pull over pushing fans). most should have extra ventilation to the side areas of the fan for when the fan are not needed as your driving. A Corvette or later Camaro will probably have the highest cfm due to the air flow is only from under the car as electric fans go.
Any heavy trucks (3/4 or 1ton) pulling rigs as well.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Sending unit just relays a signal of resistance to tell "something" what the temperature is. You'll need some kind of controller to control the electric fans based on that temperature.

Most aftermarket ones I've seen have a controller with a probe in the Radiator.
I’m guessing the controller is needed due to the two fans kicking on at different temps. I’ll need to do some research as this is new to me. I do know I’ll need to do something before this summer.

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Any heavy trucks (3/4 or 1ton) pulling rigs as well.
That shroud is much bigger than what will fit in the Gbody. I swapped them into my 2001 2500HD years ago..

ELECTRIC FANS (2).jpg

ELECTRIC FANS.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
I’m guessing the controller is needed due to the two fans kicking on at different temps. I’ll need to do some research as this is new to me. I do know I’ll need to do something before this summer.
Do you have AC in the car? If so the secondary can be hooked up to the AC switch. The primary can be on a temp switch or a manual switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor