Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
basically, i'm trying to decide what tool kit to buy. i want a STRONG drill (not a fancy screw gun), sawzall, and circular saw that will go through a 2x4 at 45*, and be cordless. oh, and take abuse.
what companies do you guys dis/like? and why/why not?
right now i think i'm down to makita, bosch, dewalt, ridgid (lifetime warranty :shock: ), and milwaukee for the expensive wait 3 more months without eating--- and porter cable or ryobi for cheap.
thanks

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Makita used to be the hot ticket at the dealership I worked for. But the was awhile ago....
I can't really give any good(personal) advise on the rest.

I'd just go and get whatever's on sale at Harbor Frieght, lol. Sucks to be broke, but I have got some good stuff there before.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
i've always found milwaukee or dewalt stuff to be pretty good. we had dewalt stuff in high school for building trades. They seem to be pretty good quality, with high school kids repeatedly beating on them i would say its a pretty good. We also use dewalt at work, for hvac they get pretty beat up. stuff falling off roofs etc. some have broken but mostly just the chucks wear out after lots of use. we're also starting to buy milwaukee to, seems to be holding up pretty good so far.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I consider Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita tools about the same quality and durability level, with the first two brands possibly being slightly better than the last two. Dewalt and Makita both have factory service branches in Pittsburgh, so those are my preferred brands for the availability of parts, if necessary, as well as favorable prices. Porter-Cable and Ridgid tend to be inconsistent, with some good tools and some so-so stuff. There's an online magazine titled "Tools of the Trade" with reviews of common contractor's tools. Might be worth checking out.

Bill

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
I havent had much dealings with Milwaukee or Bosch but out of the three Makita, Dewalt and Rigid I would say the Makita far out numbers the others where I work. Most guys I know feel that the battery holds up the best and gives the most run time as opposed to the others the only fault I have with Makita is the trigger seems to go out more than anything else. I personally still would lean towards the Makita.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I've had the drives strip out on two Dewalts, one a 12v after it was dropped, and the other a 14v that just stopped working in the middle of using it.

I should send them in for repair this week, thanks for reminding me.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i found out that the home depot sourced dewalts were made with brass gears instead of steel, plastic instead of metal washers stuff like that. that's probably why they started to lose their rep. at some point they did use a slightly different model number to denote this. now they seem to be the same as the contractor supply stores, but if i go with dewalt it won't be from HD, just in case.
anyone have any experience with the porter-cable tools? they used to be a great company, and they're owned by dewalt/B&D so quality could go either way. but they're only $250--a hell of alot easier to swallow than $500.
thanks

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I don't know if "skil" power tools are still around, but I have a corded circular that was given to me about 15 years ago that still works pretty well for what I use it for....

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I used to have a skil sawzall, and it bit the dust after a few jobs.

I now use a dewalt and it has lasted countless jobs from deck building, fence building, putting up a dock, walkways, clearing heavy brush, you name it. The things a beast

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
anyone buy from CPO tools? they have some really good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor