Core Support Black

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Anyone have the WA number for the core support and fender structures?
The older cars used 60% gloss black which seems too glossy and just doesn't match up, 30% is too flat...
Theres seems to be something GM did with the 78-88s that looks different. Maybe 50-55%???
Was it an e-coat?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have quart of PPG DDL black that I have used on my rad support that seems to be close. I'll have to get that number off the can tomorrow after work. Bad thing it's lacquer & I can't remember if PPG has a urethane or enamel formula for it.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I used PPG lacquer DDL 9423 on the rad support & a few other parts. My '78 chip pages for Chevy & Pontiac list this used as a exterior accent color but was only in ready mixed quarts. The DDL lacquer has been discontinued from what I understand. I also have PPG DAR 9424 which is a enamel semi gloss which might be the code needed as it is close to the 9423.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used SEM Hot Rod Black on the core supports for both of my cars. I also used it on the majority of brackets, suspension parts and rears. Its a nice semi gloss 2K paint. Easy to spray and comes out pretty much the same every time I use it.

1715221403077.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users
Nov 4, 2012
I used SEM Hot Rod Black on the core supports for both of my cars. I also used it on the majority of brackets, suspension parts and rears. Its a nice semi gloss 2K paint. Easy to spray and comes out pretty much the same every time I use it.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I plan on using it on the firewall, core support, and inner fenders of my Skylark. Actually might use it for the dash and steering column too since the finish is more or less the same as the factory interior black. Single stage too, so it's super easy to apply.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
While it looks pretty and consistent, it still doesn't look "black" the way GM did it. I'm not even sure what sort of paint they used, but for some stupid reason a lot of these semi-gloss products come out with more of a charcoal look than black. Could be a digital picture color imbalance on my monitor. Not complaining because it looks great and certainly useable, there's just that "GM black look" under the hood of these cars that nobody I've seen so far has been able to duplicate spot-on.

I know that look what Mike is talking about with the rad support black. I USED to know a paint code for that black about 1000 years ago, but I have no idea whether I kept it, lost it, or never had it written down. I never did follow up on it, obviously.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I was going to suggest the same thing. I plan on using it on the firewall, core support, and inner fenders of my Skylark. Actually might use it for the dash and steering column too since the finish is more or less the same as the factory interior black. Single stage too, so it's super easy to apply.
Ive been using it since a friend of mine told me about it. It lays out nice on top of DP primer. I did all the inners with it and Im pretty happy with the way they look.

1715293813546.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
While it looks pretty and consistent, it still doesn't look "black" the way GM did it. I'm not even sure what sort of paint they used, but for some stupid reason a lot of these semi-gloss products come out with more of a charcoal look than black. Could be a digital picture color imbalance on my monitor. Not complaining because it looks great and certainly useable, there's just that "GM black look" under the hood of these cars that nobody I've seen so far has been able to duplicate spot-on.

I know that look what Mike is talking about with the rad support black. I USED to know a paint code for that black about 1000 years ago, but I have no idea whether I kept it, lost it, or never had it written down. I never did follow up on it, obviously.
i agree.the end result is all relative to the given time frame when cars are being produced. the paint/products/methods/practices/conditions etc etc.then what was acrylic enamel & or lacquer with whatever undercoat that was on hand has become something far different in the past 30 plus years.i've walked away from more early vette conversations people getting all ramped up over who's opinion on what happened years ago and what's rite and wrong and where which color belongs with dry spray and all the other related nonsense.
that HR black is good product.that's my go to for all things semi gloss black....or whatever you want to call it;) that HR clear is good too.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor