Could Pontiac be coming back?!?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
building more hybrids
I agree. My sister is on her second Prius and she loves them. Electric for putzing around, gas power for when needed. Best of both worlds.

I was coming home today and saw one of those Tesla 'Day the Earth Stood Still' trucks. OMG what a turd. And people thought the AZTEK was fugly?!?!? On the road it looks like it is going backwards. And it was HUGE. Like Hummer huge. This just may displace Range Rover drivers as the biggest A-holes on the road.
2024_tesla_cybertruck_front.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
No Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, DeLorean,
Maybe it's a joke. Maybe it's a tease. All I know is that when I retired, and was finally able to buy a brand new Firebird, they were gone. I did not like the Camaro, or Mustang, the Challanger was cool, but I hate NOPAR. I wanted a Pontiac. If GM is serious, I am here with cash in hand for a new Firebird. Or maybe whatever they may have up their sleeve. Watch this video:
Studebaker, Hudson, and on and on are not ever comingback.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The sad reality is that even if Pontiac did come back it would wind up being a huge disappointment and insult the beloved performance brand that once was. I could totally see them reviving the tempest/gto and firebird/ TA only to have them be boring fully EV crossovers or SUVs.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Maybe Chevy can go all electric and select Pontiac revivals (GTO, trans am etc) become the performance branch

Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Ever see what they did with the Camaro by putting Trans Am stuff on it? Why couldn't GM sell THAT?!?
s-l1600.webp
With the money spent buying the new camaro(at the time) and cost of the conversion(transam body kit).... you'd probably a lot spend less resto modding an original transam that the owner will no doubtly get more respect for from the general public.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With the money spent buying the new camaro(at the time) and cost of the conversion(transam body kit).... you'd probably a lot spend less resto modding an original transam that the owner will no doubtly get more respect for from the general public.
I would think these cars are more the "look at all they money I can spend" crowd. Some are cool what if cars but at the end of the day it'll still be a Camaro.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
what I don't get is why they aren't building more hybrids. they're proven power plants, adaptable to different platforms, so I don't think battery placement/storage is an issue. if they just made every platform a hybrid that would cut costs with everything being standardized for that platform. it would also get them ahead of the curve for meeting CAFE standards. my wife has a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited hybrid and I've been very happy with it's capabilities, power, and range. (she just likes the nice fancy sedan and leather seating :rolleyes: )
Hybrids aside, what about hydrogen technology? Uses water, the by product is oxygen. At the rate the realtors and home builders are knocking over trees to clear land for new overly priced poor quality subdivisions, we are going to need all the extra oxygen generators we can create.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You're kidding, that's a truck??? Looks like a prop out of some low budget post apocalypse movie starring Sly Stallone and a supporting cast of millions.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
And a M-M-M-M-ANUAL TRANSMISSION!?! WOWSERS!!! But why does it look like a Hot Wheels version? The Mustang looked like a Mustang. The Challenger looked like a Challenger. The GTO was a great car, but looked nothing like a GTO. Why can't GM stylists get it right?
Problem is manuals don't sell to the masses because many can't drive them, thats the whole reason I am going to lose a bet with a buddy about the C8 eventually coming in a manual. When I made the bet I didn't know it was part of the frame, but also didn't know that they sold so few manuals making it not worth the time to invest into making it work. GM is a bunch of dolts, why I stick with their products is beyond me. The GTO they brought back is what it would have turned into instead of bringing out a retro look like everyone else was, they were hoping to just hit on the name recognition. They fail time after time with actual good cars they put no marketing into, look at that G8 ad from the video. Do you remember ever really seeing that? I think it was an awesome car and commercial if they had actually supported it I think it would have done a ton better. Then they did the same with the SS, wonder why that never sold.
The sad reality is that even if Pontiac did come back it would wind up being a huge disappointment and insult the beloved performance brand that once was. I could totally see them reviving the tempest/gto and firebird/ TA only to have them be boring fully EV crossovers or SUVs.
Unfortunately that's what all the brands are doing follow GM's failed attempts, although I guess MOPAR was pretty early on with it too killing the Charger name in the 80s then again with the current one. While I did finally like the last model updates and did make them a ton better looking it was still a disgrace to the name.
Hybrids aside, what about hydrogen technology? Uses water, the by product is oxygen. At the rate the realtors and home builders are knocking over trees to clear land for new overly priced poor quality subdivisions, we are going to need all the extra oxygen generators we can create.

Nick
Very easy answer, the decision makers with the money decided to back battery tech and will push that because it is much easier to make money from it. Hydrogen could be very effective in the green side of the solution, problem is that it is much harder for them to monetize it. I did see BMW and another manufacturer are going Hydrogen and will have something out like next year.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
As a collective entity we have sufficient knowledge and skills to take the old and make it new and take the bent and reshape it back to straight.

So how much work and $$$$ would be involved in doing a shade tree transplant of a hydrogen based motor into another platform? I realize it would be more complicated than dropping a diesel into a 50 GMC pickup but the hardest one is usually the first one and things get easier as more transplants are done. Witness the LS migration from GM's of all kinds into just about everything else; still haven't seen one attached to a baby buggy but suspect there is a video of just that happening somewhere.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor