Dirty frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
What is the best thing I can use to clean the frame of my 81 Malibu inside the garage? Want to get it to where I can paint it or Por 15 it... Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Depending on how dirty and grimy the frame is, I think your best bet would be to take it outside, set it up on jackstands and spray it down with Purple cleaner. Then if you have access to a pressure washer...shoot it down with that.

Of course, If you have a large enough inside facility, cover the work area with old tarps to contain the dirt and grime. But then you'll most likely have to scrub it down by hand with an old brush.

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
yeah, i was planning on starting it today in the garage seeing as how it started to snow as i type....ill probably spray purple and simple green and throw some elbow grease into it and go from there...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would spray it with some tough cleaner like what you mentioned, let it sit for a little bit and then hit it with a pressure washer. I cant imagine cleaning an entire frame by hand when you can rent a pressure washer for pretty cheap.

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
I may just hold off then til I tear out all of the front suspension and rebuild it... Then I can clean it up really good and getin all the hard to reach spots... Thanks for the tips

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I used a steel wire cup-brush in a 4" angle grinder on mine along with some brake cleaner.

Mine wasn't in too bad of shape but still took some work to get it cleaned. After the wire brush and went over the entire frame with a DA and 40 grit sand paper to give it some tooth. Then I used a product called Rustbullet on the frame that is similar to POR-15. However I found it's application to be a lot easier and it was cheaper. It is also UV stable so you don't have to top coat it like POR-15 if you don't want to but it only came in silver. I put (3) coats of the Rustbullet on, sanding between each one and then I sprayed the entire frame with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. I bought a quart of paint and then thinned it with mineral spirits so that I could shoot it through a cheap spray gun. It went on really well like this. Much better than an aerosol.

Frame after first coming out from under the car:

After a little wire wheeling:

Rustbullet applied:

Frame sprayed with semi-gloss black:

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
That frame looks awesome....im debating on removing thr body now, but I dont have a lift....id love to do that and start a frame up restoration!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I didn't post that to get him to pull the body off the frame, although that does make it easier. I was just showing the process and results of what I've used in the past. That still applies whether the frame is still under the car or not.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
FE3X CLONE said:
I didn't post that to get him to pull the body off the frame, although that does make it easier. I was just showing the process and results of what I've used in the past. That still applies whether the frame is still under the car or not.
Well Andrew, you certainly influenced him. :lol: No getting away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor