Does a K & N Filter improve engine performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey everybody, was just looking at air filter and see that K&N have one for the Monte Carlo. People claim it increases horse power and allow for better fuel economy. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-E-1500/ Thats the filter im looking at. Wondering if i should get it because when i did the full tune up on my car i just bought this air filter made by this company called Defense? It was only 6$ so that got me a little skeptical. So im wondering if thats the problem of my very bad fuel economy lack of power. Thanks!

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Lorenzo said:
Hey everybody, was just looking at air filter and see that K&N have one for the Monte Carlo. People claim it increases horse power and allow for better fuel economy. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-E-1500/ Thats the filter im looking at. Wondering if i should get it because when i did the full tune up on my car i just bought this air filter made by this company called Defense? It was only 6$ so that got me a little skeptical. So im wondering if thats the problem of my very bad fuel economy lack of power. Thanks!

Let me put it this way. I swapped my 4.3 for a 330 hp 350. Changed computer to a chevy truck 5.7 with 55lb 5.7 injectors and new fuel pump. Car ran ok at idle but was awful when you punched it. Threw codes, backfired. I figured it was because the PCM wasn't tuned so messing with the air filter was a waste at this point. Then I did this.

spring2012068.jpg

Made all this difference in the world. Car pulls pretty nicely and sounds great too. And thats on a fuel system built to support 180hp with a 2.73 gear set. Mine looks wierd because the current TPS I have wont allow for the full aftermarket air cleaner setup. I would go with an open air one similar to mine.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well let me put it this way, I've built motors that aren't 500+ hp. Just your normal vortec headed screamer... and an airfilter never made a difference on any of my motors.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
SScamino said:
Well let me put it this way, I've built motors that aren't 500+ hp. Just your normal vortec headed screamer... and an airfilter never made a difference on any of my motors.

Maybe mine was more noticable because of the TBI setup with the computer?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
oldmansmonte said:
SScamino said:

Maybe mine was more noticable because of the TBI setup with the computer?
What type of air cleaner/filter combo did you have before? I have had probly 5 different air cleaner/filter combos on my engine since I got it and I havent noticed a thing. Now im using a 14x5" monster K&N so maybe I will feel something when it gets off its *ss and makes its way out of the garage :lol:

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
We had a similar problem on an aftermarket tbi set up the air cleaner we had is what was recomended but it would stumble at idle we just changed it out for a little bit bigger one for the sake of diagnosing the problem amd it completley fixed it. But it wasn't with a kn airfilter just a stp airfilter. It had something to do with the way the cpu was measuring the air coming in and the really small air element we had.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I would say no. In fact I have read that paper filters provide the most airflow. Albeit not as clean air flow. If I can find a source for what I just said I will link it. My experience with KN filters has been positive though. I buy them for each of my vehicles just so I don't have to buy more. The cleaner service kits last me quite a while as well. It will not be a seat of the pants difference though. If you're expecting to throw one in your car and feel the difference you will be disappointed. YMMV

I may have gotten the above backwards :rofl:

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
hmmm okay. But does anyone have experience with these Defense air filters?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I've never heard of that brand nor did I find anything when I googled it. If it is bothering you that bad then buy another brand of paper filter, fram, stp, etc and see if that helps. The KN wont solve your problems.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If your unit it tuned properly, yes they will provide an increase in performance. Also an increase in fuel mileage. Plus, what other company will offer you a 1,000,000 mile warranty for any part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor