Dual fan controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
pontiacgp said:
I like that, did you weld it in or did the rad come with the bung
It is a Griffin dominator radiator with 2- 1.25in cores. I purchased the bung seperately and welded it in.
I also made my own dual fan mount. All dual fan mounts do not have a divider plate between fans so I made one for better air flow when only one fan is running.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that is some nice welding an fit's in the perfect spot. I have my switch just under where the thermostat is on the intake. I have my twin fans to come on at the same time so they are not on as long, 205º on, 190º off

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
pontiacgp said:
that is some nice welding an fit's in the perfect spot. I have my switch just under where the thermostat is on the intake. I have my twin fans to come on at the same time so they are not on as long, 205º on, 190º off

Actually short cycling fans is not good for them, Most wear and tear on a fan is done starting them,once on it is best to leave them on for as long as possible, that is why a two stage controller for two fans is best. In most conditions one fan runs longer and the other is mostly off. I run a Dakota Digital controller, fully programmable.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they are long enough in city traffic and on the highway they are never on which is a good thing cause fans on during a highway run actually can slow the flow of air through the rad. I was running a single 16" perma cool fan that pulls 2950 cfm but it seemed to be getting old and slow so I put in the intrepid duel fan. I will replace the duel with a single 16" perma cool for next year since it weighs nothing compared to the intrepid fans and it does the job

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_spal.htm
Ignore CFM at look at amp draw. Some fans are calculated at no static pressure drop. It is possible to have two fans that move 3000 CFM of air at 0" static pressure drop and have one fan move 2500CFM of air at 0.4 static pressure drop and have the other move only 1500 CFM of air at 0.4 static pressure drop.
A typical radiator has about 0.3 to 0.5 pressure drop and it goes up if you have a A/C condenser in front of that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
these are the specs for the perma cool 16" ....RPM 1800, AMP Draw 11.0, 2950 CFM. I used this fan for 3 years with no shroud and the car never overheated. I should add that I have removed the section of bumper that was in front of the rad so that allowed more air to pass though the rad

qmZMOIu3TcovWZN7oFXs3JuPk32XpHagWTXyU-dpoAw=w281-h210-p-no

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
pontiacgp said:
these are the specs for the perma cool 16" ....RPM 1800, AMP Draw 11.0, 2950 CFM. I used this fan for 3 years with no shroud and the car never overheated. I should add that I have removed the section of bumper that was in front of the rad so that allowed more air to pass though the rad

If it works for you that's good, but I checked both Spal and Derale and I do not think a 11 amp fan will ever pull anything close to 2900 CFM.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree about the 11 amps and never actually thought about till now since the fan always did it's job. I got the fan from a friend of mine who had cooled his SBC with it so I just installed it and never thought about it. I asked perma cool how that fan can pull 2950 cfm while only drawing 11 amps and I'll post their answer if and when it arrives.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jociha said:
pontiacgp said:

If it works for you that's good, but I checked both Spal and Derale and I do not think a 11 amp fan will ever pull anything close to 2900 CFM.

I never received a reply from perma cool so it looks like their results are manipulated...thanks for questioning their claims.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor