Equipping a G-Body with a manual trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did make a mistake on the weight difference and joey's numbers are more accurate

they sell an adapter to convert the electric pulse speedo to the mechanical but the ones I have seen are around $300

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The problem with rebuilding a T5 is by the time you've had it done, unless you're doing it yourself or know someone that can do it cheap (or free), you'll be out the cost of a used T-56 that can handle more power than a stock T-5. Yes there are a few things that will have to be changed, but in the long run I'm betting it will be cheaper because if that T-5 breaks again you'll have to have it rebuilt... again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Doober...your right that a T56 can handle alot more torque than a T5 WC but there are kits to increase the T5 WC to hold 500 lbs of torque. The T5 is easy to rebuild and it does not require any special tools. Even if you can't do it on your the cost of having it done isn't too bad since it's not hard to do and it'll end up probably cheaper then a T56. I have 2 T5 WC's and one has a bearing issue so I'll be beefing that one up and I can let you know at that point what the cost is...I was looking for a T56 at one point and I found them hard to find and when I did they were asking $2,000

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I'm guessing it's the same setup offered from Modern Driveline?

Far as a used T-56 goes, I've seen LT1 versions as low as $6-800 (just the trans), but the LS1 tends to go for close to double, which I think is a little silly considering about the only major difference (besides the torque rating between early & late LT1 T-56s) is the input shaft.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's similar to what Modern offers but like many upgrade shops they have more offered for the Mustangs and Fords. The last T56 I saw was for $1800 plus shipping and then I had no idea what shape the transmission was in.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Pontiacgp can you link me to a site or tell me more info about building up the t5? My t5 is making the most awful knocking noise right now that increases with rpm and goes away at idle with the clutch pushed in (input shaft bearings?). Regardless, its been rebuilt before by the previous owner and I dont know what he was trying to tell me but he said he used an input shaft from another t5 as the output shaft?! (i dont know). I'm very VERY close to buying a t56 tomorrow for hopefully less than 1500 if I can negotiate a deal. :cry:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Chillin....there are rebuild DVD's for $20...I'd get that before I try to find something online..,.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

the way I do it is to take pictures of the transmission while I dismantle it but I'd have a manual to review for upgrades

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
pontiacgp said:
Chillin....there are rebuild DVD's for $20...I'd get that before I try to find something online..,.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

the way I do it is to take pictures of the transmission while I dismantle it but I'd have a manual to review for upgrades
Oh, I've seen those, I was asking about building it UP to handle the 500 ft lbs etc. I looked at g-force's website and etc but nobody has any KITS or prices as far as I've seen for serious upgrades. If I can find a performance kit for under 500 bucks and my case is in acceptable condition I'm going to go ahead and jump on it. I may call up g-force in a bit to see what they recommend.

Also, which t56's are not easily "compatible" for the swap? I thought I read the c5 corvette t56's had major differences, but I could be wrong.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
at hanlon motor sports they have 4 rebuild kits for the T5...why not call them to find out what's in the kits..

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Oh I thought you knew of a specific kit that could beef up the transmission to 500 ft lbs. I am going to have to call around tomorrow and see what's available I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor