F body to g body interchange questions

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So the fancy 84 camaro berlinetta i bought a while back has a mint unique interior and runs/drives but needs some carb and exhaust work. 305 with 700r4 transmission. The floor is rusted so bad i decided it was not worth saving for safety purposes .

My friend is passing on his 86 Monte carlo project that was a cl , that he started changing to a ss with nose, front fenders, cowl hood swap. The body is 60000 original miles and was a 4.3 car. It now has no drivetrain or interior at all. Car is basically rust free. But will include headers, engine mounts, exhaust for a sbc

I know the engine/transmission could be swapped but how much of the interior of the camaro could be used in case i dont sell the camaro. Seats, door panels?, center console?

has anyone done such a swap and the mods needed to put an f body interior into a g body. Or would it be better to sell the camaro and forget about using parts from it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's not much inside that can be salvaged. I think the seats might bolt right in, bucket to bucket. Not 100% sure on that, but it sure appears they would. And maybe the HVAC head unit guts. Can it be done with all that other stuff? Perhaps the console, but the problem with the console is the F-body console kinda runs into the center dashboard stack, where the G-body dash does not. Notice how the front of the console wedges out to meet the dash making it almost a single unit up front.

Not much can be bolted right up to the Monte, I'm afraid, without mods.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
You r out of luck, can it fit depends on how much u are willing to cut/bend and fit! and then it will look like a chop job. Rear disk equipped? if it is then that will swap over as many of us have done. front sway bar and other assorted suspension stuff can swap over.

• Useful

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Im thinking i might be able to use the seats and console as this doesnt have the normal camaro console that angles up in the front.

Beyond that the new front brake components would swap over. Rear has drums so no upgrade..

More i look at it the more i think it would be better to use it as trade material for g body parts if i get the monte
20230827_143731.jpg
20230827_143735.jpg
20231018_180918.jpg
20231018_181353.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
More i look at it the more i think it would be better to use it as trade material for g body parts if i get the monte
I agree. TRADE BAIT. Or out and out sell it to a third gen Camaro guy and use the money for Monte parts. Yeah, forgot about those berlinettas with the odd radio stack thingie. I thought it was stupid back then. Sorry, I still do. I had a new 82 Z28 and a friend bought a new 82 Berlinetta with a V6 that had that interior. We "raced" them and I holeshotted him by 1/2 a car length and stayed that way the ENTIRE 1/4 mile. Sad. I think it did the quarter in like 14.3........minutes. :)

Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Keep the baffled 4.3 MCSS fuel tank. Change the fuel pump and you are good to go for a mild fuel injected 350.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Berlinetta, not much.

Rear differential carrier if its a decent ratio
Front swaybar can be an upgrade, but needs to be later production and z28 or ws6 to be anything decent
Seats if you use the G body bucket tracks

Hardware, radio, drivetrain?

Bout it.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Throw a cage and frame connectors at it and go bracket racing. Or flip it as is and use the $$$ as seed capital to do the Monte right. OPGi has most of what the interior needs but they are not cheap. Depends on where you are as to whether swap meets and pick a part yards would have what you need.

Nick

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Throw a cage and frame connectors at it and go bracket racing. Or flip it as is and use the $$$ as seed capital to do the Monte right. OPGi has most of what the interior needs but they are not cheap. Depends on where you are as to whether swap meets and pick a part yards would have what you need.

Nick
Ive posted it all over marketplace. Im going to Try to sell it first and if it dont sell part it out/trade it for g body parts

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Bare front seats.
seat belts.
Console.
Power window motors.
Power lock servos. Maybe some of the linkage.
Rear axle carrier.
Wiring and connectors.
Is it 4-wheel disc?
Radiator (?).
Blower motor (?).
Steering column parts.
E brake stuff to convert from foot to hand operated.
sway bar.
Locks.

• Winner

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor