Factory Dual Hump Crossmember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonegrater

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2010
Richmond, VA
Was there ever a factory dual hump crossmember made for G-Bodies? I found one on CG for $20, it is in good shape, and it looks perfect for my Cutlass. The ad says it is for the 200-4R, I plan on going to true dual exhaust as soon as possible. If anyone knows if this was actually offered, or is from another car that won't work without a lot of work? I would like to swap this out without much modification. Trying to keep this thing looking close to OE as possible.
Thanks.
The one on top is the crossmember I'm talking about, the bottom is for a TH350.
3kb3pe3o75T15X55R4acbc002176a083d152a.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Don't quote this, but I thought there was something different with the diesel's crossmember. I've never witnessed it for myself but I recall hearing something about it at one time. Anyone care to chime in?

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
i remember finding one in a junkyard for a friend of mine back in the 90s. he had one on his SS, and we found one on an SS after his rotted out. i haven't seen or heard of one since, but they both looked exactly like the one you have pictured there. i've always heard from the message boards that no such a thing existed.
that one looks like it may have been wailed on with a BFH until it was flat enough.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I can't say I've seen or heard of a factory dual hump X-member for a G-body. Never even heard it mentioned on various forums.
If such a X-member exists, I would love to see pics of one.
Diesels had dual exhaust mufflers (I know, I had one), but no full dual exhaust system.

I agree that that one looks like it might have taken a few heavy blows with a BFH. I have heard of guys using crossmembers from '70's A-body cars with some mods, and a crossmember from a '90's Mercury Marquis or Crown Vic.

Other than that, the usual aftermarket units or modifying the stocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor