falling in love

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
same

name different car, that is one thing ill never step back into is a front wheel drive car. They are awkward feeling cars specially when you hit ice lol. The impala may still be alive today but at least in my opinion they are one ugly POS, I especially love how common they are on the road too. They have become the modern day caviliers rollin around. So has Grand Prix too though. I think ill have to look out for a 96 then in around 2 years. Ill be spending it seems between 6 to 8K though. I guess I could blow my better part of a loan on something worse though. With my bachelors degree I might have an ok job by then anyway. I really appreciate the help ya guys have given me here.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I remember test driving one back around 1998 and I did not like it. It had maybe 20k on it, and the interior was awful. The plastics squeaked and creaked worse than just about anything else I had ever been in, and the leather was so cheap it felt like vinyl. To me, the interior on a high line G body is better made and feels nicer. Yeah, the engine is a high point, as are the brakes, but it still feels like a low rent taxi cab from the inside. GM's plastics definitely took a turn for the worse in the 90's, and this car really shows that. GM interiors peaked in the 80's and only recently have they started to feel like something that was not built in a 3rd world country.

In regards to the rear axle off center issue, there are longer aftermarket LCA's that address that issue. It seems GM was too lazy to engineer arms an inch or two longer to make it look right. After all, they had to recoup some of the chassis engineering costs since the chassis was only recently introduced- in 1977. But that's the General we all know and love!

As for front drivers, they make nice beaters but not good performance cars. I would not spend the kind of money GM wants for the Wimpala SS for a FWD car. I'd rather deal with the taxi cab interior instead of dealing with the drive wheels at the wrong end of the car. In fact, I'd probably be more likely to rock a Crown Vic than a Wimpala. If I have to have FWD, make mine a Sentra or Civic with a small engine and a manual trans that will last a gazillion miles and get great fuel economy. Then the FWD trade off makes sense. But on a premium car? No thanks. I'll go buy a base BMW 1 series instead. At least BMW has never had a BMW branded car with FWD.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
sh*t

cutty I couldnt agree more I have nothing to add, I think the 2 of us would be pretty good friends if we ever hung out dude. lol

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Re: sh*t

1986montecarlols said:
cutty I couldnt agree more I have nothing to add, I think the 2 of us would be pretty good friends if we ever hung out dude. lol

Well, if you're ever in the Tampa area let me know.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I'd probably be more likely to rock a Crown Vic than a Wimpala.

They also have the Mercury Marauder. I have always loved the looks of those cars.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
my dad recently owned a black 96 SS for a couple of years and i loved it. it was a beautiful car, and was always a blast to drive. had a great sound, and the interior IMO was nice. very comfortable.

i also say go for it, and buy one. someone previously had said to go with the 96, which i think it also a good choice. i think the only real difference in 96 on the body is the side mirror location. and of course the digital dash. but i personally prefer analog gauges to digital. nothing beats being able to smash on the gas and seeing that arm swoop across the dash. thats americana to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor