frame off would you ever do it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It’s still presentable, but has a couple of scratches not and the spray in bed liner is showing a few scars from heavy use. It’s currently sitting out in the carport badly needing a trip to the car wash. A full blown frame off on this one would have been a waste of time and effort or turned it into a pampered show car.

Mike,

Your El Camino is one of the most awesome cars on the site. If you have not applied to be featured car of the month, you should, and you'd have my vote. Simple, elegant, end best of all, driven daily. Looking forward to when I can say the same about mine...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
100% I'd do it again, mind you I do still have the body off mine, but the frame/suspension/all that good stuff is done. I can't imagine trying to weld in new rear frame rails without pulling the body off. Putting the suspension back together was easy (except compressing the front springs) Running new fuel and brake lines was no problem.

Then again, this being a project car, I've got nothing but time. Just need to finish the rotisserie and I'm ready to dive into the body work. Maybe by spring I'll be ready to drop the body back on.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
See, I got lucky with my Regal. Not a SPEC of rust anywhere. Floorboards, body, frame, everything is mint. Yes, some parts are grody and corroded from years of use, but no rust holes. Even had the original exhaust before that eventually rotted off at the muffler. Now, my 1970 Thunderbird on the other hand, wow. Needs body patches, trunk is GONE on sides and bottom, frame has almost rotted in half. That will be my first frame off, I guess it's a resto. I'm just patching holes. Psudo Resto. Body off frame, front clip off, rust repair, check out that 429 just in case. Maybe re-ring, hone, new bearings and gaskets. Maybe intake too. Lil stuff like that. Some interior work also.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I bought another G body no matter how good the condition of it was I would lift the body to replace the body bushings and spray the area with a good rust proof and treat the frame with rust proof as well.....that way if I ever need to do a body off my job would be a lot easier but I would not do a body off again without a rotissery

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
I would absolutely do another frame off and have all intentions of doing so on my '63 Implala. I've done my regal and helped a few buddies with theirs as well. There's nothing like knowing you can eat off any part of the car, yet still cruising down the highway in the rain knowing you basically have a new car.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Here's the new frame i put on. Reinforced for the hydraulics by plating all 4 sides in 3/16" steel, adding a rear bridge, and spending countless hours grinding welds smooth. Also painted it myself. Silver blue metallic.

Finished product.

Did a lot of frame work in the cold over the winter. The whole tear down of the car to complete again without frame work was 6 weeks still working a full time job. 3 hours sleep most nights along with having a written plan and every single part i needed ahead of time helped a ton. This included pressing in bushings, polished/powder coating parts, replacing 2 floor pans, digital gauges, and a ton of small things that aren't visible. That was thanks to helping others out and realizing how much time is wasted without a plan of action. Total $$$ into the car is upwards of 17k with none being spent on labor and finding a lot of deals over the 2 years i was collecting parts.

Hand polished stainless bolts

If i couldn't have it chrome plated or polish up ss bolts, i powdercoated things myself. The idea is for everything to be coated, easy to clean, and not a single sharp edge.

Top of the gas tank nobody will ever see along with the polished metal fuel lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'd do it again but I don't think I could do them back to back, that's a little to stressful for my blood. But really, it's like riding a bike. Lots of learning and help the first time, but after that you really never forget how to do it. I don't think I could bring myself to do a frame-on restoration on a car after doing a frame off. I mean really, It takes 2 hours and 2 guys to take the body off, even if all the cage nuts break. New Poly Bushings are $120 and bolts are $50. Still <$200. Fab work is way easier with the frame off, and it's much easier to make new fuel and brake lines too. However I probably would want a rotisserie if I did it again.

image.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Only way to build a race car or do a real restoration.

Copy of crank adain house 002.jpg

IMG_4465_013.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4465_013.JPG
    IMG_4465_013.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • Copy of crank adain house 002.jpg
    Copy of crank adain house 002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 138

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Literally right in the middle of one on my 78 Monte... Yes, it's fun, challenging, somewhat scary. Having tools is a must for my low skill level. I'm amazed by the knowledge other guys have in this hobby- incredible and humbling. I just spent 6 hours yesterday welding in new pan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor