frame troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2009
Surrey, BC, Canada
my 79 malibu wagon has a extremley rusty frame and most of the bumper supports are rusted off.. i got a 83 Pontiac grand lemans 4 door and the frame is mint on that. is it possible to swap frames?

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
i dont think that the frames will swap over because the wagon frame is longer but somebody with more exprience with wagons will probley be able to give you a more deffinite anser

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
AFAIK, the only frame that is different is the El Camino.It has a longer wheelbase.The rest should all swap.

bb89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2009
Surrey, BC, Canada
ok, sweet. just got the 2 cars about a month ago and wanted to make sure befor i spend alot of money on the frame.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The El Camino is the only G-body with a different wheelbase... all coupes, sedans, and wagons are the same wheelbase.

However, there is a difference between the wagon frames and the coupe/sedan frames in that the left rear frame horn is different to accomodate the location of the fuel tank. The El Camino also shares this difference, since the wagon/elky are the only two to utilize a side fill gas tank.

Maybe a better option than an entire frame swap is to get some clean frame horns and section them in. There is also a gentleman in Canada that makes them. I've seen a seller on eBay from Cali that frequently has sets of clean rear frame horns up for about $150.

bb89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2009
Surrey, BC, Canada
i plan on puting a fuel cell in it anyways located where the spare tire compartment is so im not too concerned about the matching frame horns. but thanks for all the info,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor