Frame upgrade time help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Got another frame to Mod and need some input i plan to box and notch the frame and add the control arm braces plus reweld all the seams. I also want to add some tubing between the rear rails to aid the notch now i seen a single tube from rail to rail but i would like to do more i seen a pic somewhere that triangled tubing from the cross tube down to the upper control arm mounts which looked impressive anyone seen or done that?
When welding on the frame if i have it sitting on jack stands do i have to worry about warpage or bowing if i weld some sections at a time or is there another way to do this? Any pics of frame mod's are welcome!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Go to the "Photos and Videos" subsection in the "General Discussion" forum, and look for a thread called "79 Cutlass wagon G machine build" by a poster called SRD Art. He's made a number of frame modifications on his car, including notching and bracing the frame. It should be helpful to you.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yeah, that is a good thread.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Just read though the whole 20 pages good stuff there! I made a brace oout of 1x2" box steel very similar to the one he made between the rear shock tower but with the rear at full squat my triangle braces would have it the upper control arms and i'm running ridetech Shockwaves so the car will be fairly low. I cut the angles off the brace and had it recoated not used it yet but it was for the other frame i have this one will get all weld in braces.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Keep us updated! Did you go and get that frame?

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Well my luck is crap the frame i picked up today seemed to be fine besides some minor issues until i pulled out the tape measure the front frame horns are 2" shorter than my GN frame and the weird thing the rear frame has mounting perches on both sides instead of just the left and its definitly not a Elky frame! So much for all the gbody frames being the same but the guy did say it was a 87' frame but i think its a older Abody frame! :?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I'll be giving Doc a call tomorrow, never got around to it today, d'oh!

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Bringing this thread back up just got my frame back from the powder coater Again! Here is what it looks like now Braced ,boxed,Notched and Welded i am by no means a good welder but i do ok and the grinder helps with the clean up i took some ideas from different guys here on the forum and kinda rolled them together hopefully they all work out! I will be adding a brace across the rear horns once its bolted to the body just to be sure they did not move!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 702
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 833
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 619
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 596
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 593
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor