Fuel coming out of my vent tube

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
For the 5.3 swap in my El Camino I bought the 4.3 tbi fuel tank and the tbi sender from Dixie Restorations. I have an issue where gas pours out of my vent tube. I’m using the 3/8” line for supply, the 5/16” line for the return and the 1/4” for the vent. The car sat for a day or two and vented about 5 gallons of gas.

I dropped the tank today looking for a fuel starvation issue (ended up being having no gas in the tank) and put everything back together. I added about 10 gallons of gas and on the test drive I smelled fuel when stopped at a light. When I pulled into my driveway I can see the trail down the street.

Any insight into the issue? TIA

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
For the 5.3 swap in my El Camino I bought the 4.3 tbi fuel tank and the tbi sender from Dixie Restorations. I have an issue where gas pours out of my vent tube. I’m using the 3/8” line for supply, the 5/16” line for the return and the 1/4” for the vent. The car sat for a day or two and vented about 5 gallons of gas.

I dropped the tank today looking for a fuel starvation issue (ended up being having no gas in the tank) and put everything back together. I added about 10 gallons of gas and on the test drive I smelled fuel when stopped at a light. When I pulled into my driveway I can see the trail down the street.

Any insight into the issue? TIA
No answer, but, is the tank under pressure while the engine is running? (remove the gas cap... does it "woosh" ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The 1/4 inch is the return and goes half way down. If it is covered with gas and is used as the vent will build pressure and flow gas out the vent anytime the tank is over about 1/2 full.

5/16 is the shortest tube into the tank.

Change to 1/4 as the return and 5/16 as vent.

Reactions: 1 users

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
The 1/4 inch is the return and goes half way down. If it is covered with gas and is used as the vent will build pressure and flow gas out the vent anytime the tank is over about 1/2 full.

Thank you. I should have paid attention to the tube lengths inside the tank.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Let me show you how to fix that..
See the slit with the red circle around it?

SENDING UNIT2.jpg

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Negative.

My picture above it the proper fix. 1/4" return with these newer engines is not enough. Drill out the restriction on the 5/16" and it works fine. It's drilled out in my pic, been working since 2010 with no issues.

Here is that little restriction before I drilled it with the baffle cut off.

SENDING UNIT.jpg

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
Negative.

My picture above it the proper fix. 1/4" return with these newer engines is not enough. Drill out the restriction on the 5/16" and it works fine. It's drilled out in my pic, been working since 2010 with no issues.

Here is that little restriction before I drilled it with the baffle cut off.

View attachment 224075
Thanks for the tip. So I’m clear, the restrictor is in the 5/16 tube which is the factory vent, but I’m using as the return. Drilling this out should stop the fuel from coming out of my 1/4” line?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Thanks for the tip. So I’m clear, the restrictor is in the 5/16 tube which is the factory vent, but I’m using as the return. Drilling this out should stop the fuel from coming out of my 1/4” line?
Do you still have that restrictor in place? If so the return is barely working. Fuel pressure is spiking I bet, hope you have a regulator.

Putting a slit or drilling a hole in the 1/4" tube very close to the top like I did will help it vent, look close at them pics and think about how it works then you will see why I did what I did.

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
Do you still have that restrictor in place? If so the return is barely working. Fuel pressure is spiking I bet, hope you have a regulator.

Putting a slot or drilling a hole in the 1/4" tube very close to the top like I did will help it vent, look close at them pics and think about how it works then you will see why I did what I did.
I was going back and forth between your pics and ones I took today. It makes sense now. Yes, that restrictor is in place. I have a regulator but was going to chase down a cause of high fuel pressure. I think I’ve found it now. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor