fuel pump problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Should my fuel be draining out of the fuel pump over night? Every morning after the car has been sitting when I go to start it the fuel filter is empty. When I first crank it it starts right up on the remaining fuel in the carb but after that fuel is gone it runs a little rough like there is no fuel left in the line. After a few seconds once the fuel pump has pumped fuel in the line it picks up again and runs fine. Is this a sign of a fuel pump that is on it's way out? Or is there another reason for this?

It's a mechanical fuel pump.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Look on your mechanical pump. There should be a small hole located above the pump diaphram assembly(in the actual housing that covers the fuel pump arm) Check to make sure there is not gas or oil weeping from this hole. You may have to clean it with some GUNK first to tell. If there is fluid leaking, replace the pump, theyre only about ten dollars at autozone, or advance. Check that out first and get back to me.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Hey thanks for the reply. The bottom of the pump was really grimy and looked wet. I checked the holes but couldn't really tell if there was anything coming out of them or not. I did replace the rubber intake hose connected to the steel fuel line and the pump. and I connected a vac gauge between the pump and carb and was getting a reading of just under 4.5" at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor