G-bodies disappearing-never gave it much thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I filled up my motorcycle and took off on side roads and housing additions looking for a G body. I rode for about 2 hours and many housing additions. Never found any. My Salon is such a huge torn apart project, I thought I'd buy one to drive that needed either an engine or trans. No such luck. I check my craigslist twice a day and nothing affordable to be had. Makes me feel old as hell because when I was in school, in the late 80s to early 90s, they were EVERYWHERE. I had 2 by the time I graduated. My 1st was a 79 Regal Limited and 2nd was an 81 Regal.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I dont know about anyone else in PA but I think im pretty lucky. Diwn here every thing rusts but not ALL. with plenty of farmland and scenic valleys there are tons of old cars just laying around in older peoples houses. Down by where I live you can still find mid 70's cars in junkyards. Its practically how I get all my parts. But one rare find I regret not taking was a 60's buick with a all aluminum block!
:doh:

Yea ive found 60's and 70's muscles.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I see a lot of g-body around here but not examples I would want to own.
They are mostly examples that failed Illinois inspection and trickled over here b/c of the weaker inspection laws. Sounds like most of those PA cars are the same deal. Too bad 4/5 cars in that situation will most likely never get rescued from rust in time. PA inspection standard is too high, let alone MA.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I remember I used to be picky on what parts I pulled for my GP, NOW I go to the salvage yard and am lucky to find anything! If I run across a decent g body it's picked clean!! 3rd gens, B bodys, are the same! shoot anything model year 1995 and under is hard pressed for decent parts! salvage yards around here are in for the $$ and could care less for the old cars etc etc I doubt I could find a rear quarter panel for my GP.....

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My wife is annoyed by my collection of car projects, but I grabbed up some goodies while they were still around. You have to have luck and be prepared to pounce. Now I need to stash them all so I can work on them one by one until I'm dead. If that's a long time, each of my kids will have a driver. If that's a short time, I told my wife that once I'm gone she is free to call Capitol Salvage and tell them to bring ALL their trucks.

The Cash for Clunkers program was a gold mine for parts, but a tragedy for whole cars. Wonder why you can't find S10 knuckles so easily?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm planning a move in just over 2 years. Once I get settled I plan to begin hoarding Gbodys. Specifically '78-'80 Cutlass variants.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
I remember growing up these cars were everywhere, then when i started to look for one as my first car back in 99 / 2000 they started thinning out. As others have said the Northeast weather / road salt turned most of them into rust then add the cash for clunkers and now im lucky to see one or two g bodies in a junkyard. F bodies are thinning out as well, with these cars and parts becoming scarse all the prices have been getting pushed up. Give it another 3-5 years and i bet the monte's and buick's will have more aftermarket support , sadly the GP and the Oldsmobile will will be left in the dark

Dburger

G-Body Guru
Jun 1, 2012
Glad I live in the south where there are a plethora of G-, B-, and A-bodies around.

Yup. I see a couple Monte Carlos, a Regal, a Bonneville, and the odd Cutlass every day. They can still be found in the junkyards here too. Last time I was there there were 2 Bonnevilles.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Down here in NE Pennsylvania its not very common to see a g body. If I can remember the last time I saw a g body on the street was a olds cutlass about a month ago. Ive always admired the gbodys because not many people by my area have one. I remember seeing a few regals but not any Malibus or Olds last summer.

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
i see g-bodys all the time down here around south Florida, although i see more cuttys than montes and every 1 out of 20 g bodies are el caminos

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor