G-body Power Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
I had the baddest case of cancer in my 88 Cutlass, had to order brand new full floorpans and have them welded in, have one side completely done, but the driver side power seat has no power and can't get to the back bolts to remove the seat.. Anybody know of a way to jumpstart the motor to the seat just to get temporary power so I can get to the bolts. Don't need a fix, just temporary power so that we can let the seats back off the bolts to get the socket in, changing to swivel buckets anyway but don't want to ruin the seats might put them in my El Camino..

Please help ASAP!!!!

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Under the seat is a black wire and an orange wire. I believe if you power the orange wire and ground the black, you should be able to operate the switches.

I'm reading this from a Monte wiring diagram and I just looked at my Cutlass and wiring seems to be the same.

I have the diagram in pdf format, but don't think I can attach it.

Pm me your e-mail and I can send it to you if you want.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Also, whatever you do SAVE THAT SEAT TRACK!!!! 1987/88 are the only years to get a decent 3 motor seat track. I just drained the disgusting feted water and broken glass filled floor pan of an 88 Cutlass in the junkyard today just to get the seat track. It is worth it though, as the 3 motor track does not have the shitty nylon transmission that always fails. So, if you decide you don't want it, sell it on E-Bay or here. Someone will pay good money for it.

Anyhow, you can remove it without jumping it. It will just take a long time. You just need to work at the bolts slowly with a 13mm wrench.

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
Thanks so much man, I actually was able to jump power to the seat motor with your instruction but low and behold it didn't move so it was 3 hours of tuck and pull with the seat all night with the 13mm for 2 damn nuts. Thanks anyhow I'm glad it's over with!!!

Thanks again both of you guys got the floor in and here a some pics of the results and some body work I had done..

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... ?start=all

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Believe me, if you knew what I went through to get one of those tracks, you wouldn't complain. I had to drain the floor of a junkyard car with stinky water and broken glass all over the floor to get mine. They are so rare, that the 45 minutes I spent working it off was worth it. Now, I finally have a working power seat again, and I am also trying to adapt a Cutlass Ciera driver's side track to the passenger's side so that I can have dual power seats.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Holy Flintstones! No wonder that track was seized.
Man, you did alot of work there and I applaud you for saving another g-body. A lot of people would have sent her to scrap :respect:

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
In my lifetime I have only seen 3 T-top cutlass with my own eyes in the Chicagoland area.. Not naive I know there are more here but the only time I see them are online with that said, it took some time, effort, hard-work, patience, and of course money to find one and I had got so impatient that I didn't care about anything but the car having T-tops. So after that was accomplished everything else I can bear but yes, I'm 27 years old and the first car I rode in was my father's 77 Cutlass Supreme followed by 5 more Olds in my lifetime(currently a 83 Eight-Eight in his garage now), that was his era, and the G-body's are mine so you don't have to thank me I'm definately true to this religion. But if I show you the pics of the car before the bodywork, you woudn't believe the floors would look that bad, and I personally don't believe the pic's did justice to had bad it looked up close. But I love my baby, took me 4 years to find a T-top for sale that I could get to before the next guy, and now the hardest part is done..

Thanks again..

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Wow!, power seat tracks are rare? I dunno bout that but down here in the boondocks, they are not rare, I see them in almost all the Cutlasses here. I'm only 26 and I've seen maybe well over a 100 T-top Cutlasses and waaaay more T-top Regals and Monte Carlos. I've owned 3 T-top Cutlasses, I'm still driving one and the other 2 I stripped. All 3 had power driver's bucket seats. :twisted:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The 87-88 tracks are rare. It is a common option, but most 86 and earlier G bodies have a junk system that fails with regularity. Finding the 3 motor track is one of those hard to find gems like an aluminum core support or hood that those of us who have played with these cars for a long time know about. Every car has it's good parts that are sought after. This particular track is one of those parts.

Attachments

• spk shelf.jpg
    spk shelf.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 280
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor