G Body related project

whiskeybarrelgarage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2024
I don’t have a G body but I do have a related project. One thing I love is go karts and similar stuff. If you follow go kart racing you may be familiar with Minicup cars, which are basically half scale stock cars running a go kart engine. The problem is they all run modern (ugly) bodies so I took Doc Brown’s view of “if you’re gonna build it, do it with style” I am building a half scale G body and Minicup inspired go kart. It won’t meet the rule requirements for Minicup racing but I can run it at my friends’ autocross event they put on and that is fine with me. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. It is still in early stages and rough. The body and chassis will all be scratch built, body in fiberglass and some sort of tube chassis so it will take me a bit. I will keep posting as I have updates. I hope y’all approve.

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpeg
    IMG_7547.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7589.jpeg
    IMG_7589.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: 5 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That's legit.

In the same spirit if someone took an MG Midget or Triumph Spitfire, slapped a half scale Gbody type body on the frame, and tossed a small V8 in there that would be fun on the street.

whiskeybarrelgarage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2024
That's legit.

In the same spirit if someone took an MG Midget or Triumph Spitfire, slapped a half scale Gbody type body on the frame, and tossed a small V8 in there that would be fun on the street.
My project is a good bit smaller than a Midget or Spitfire. It is about 44 inches wide, 37 from bottom of the rocker to the roof line and just shy of 9 ft in total length and unfortunately too small for a v8. I do wish there was a half scale V8 I could throw in it.

whiskeybarrelgarage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2024
Just leaving this here.. ;)

Oh I have looked at those videos, and even got to see one in person at a car show one time. Those unfortunately are for RC cars and way to small for what I am building, and on top of that they cost an unbelievable amount for what they are.

Reactions: 1 user

whiskeybarrelgarage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2024
Since it's not gonna meet any rules, you're not gonna bother with a kart engine then right?
Not one that would meet the rules. The rules usually call for a Honda GX390, which is a single cylinder 13hp engine. I have an Honda GX340 11hp engine and the closest it will get to being in the car is where it sits right now, the corner of the garage. I also have a Briggs and Straton Vtwin 470cc 16hp engine. This is the type of engine that most racing mowers use so there are plenty of upgrades to it. I might use the Vtwin or find a motorcycle engine that has way too much power to use in such a project.

Reactions: 1 user

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
wow thats a great project i see it;s made of styrofoam do you lay fiberglass over that ?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor