G-Body The Story of America

Status
Not open for further replies.

redboy504

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I feel like G-bodies really represent america in so many was. Each of our cars represents us as people and what we like. It's funny to me when I see people arguing on here about what looks good and what doesn't. But they don't understand that's the beauty of this whole G-body thing. Two different people can take the exact same car and come up with two completely different outcomes. Each one is still a masterpiece to it's owner and a piece of American history.

We all love these cars for completely different reasons. I'm from New Orleans, I grew up in the 80's. During that time these were the cars that all the big timers drove. There was even a song called "Cutlass, Monte Carlo's and Regal's" by the Big Tymers in the 90's. When I grew up these were the hottest cars on the streets. I used to love seeing them drive by grawling. They still call them Dope Man Cutlass or Regal, because that's what the dope man had at the time.

I'm sure everybody's story is a little different, and everybody's vision is different. But we're all here for the same reasons. We love these cars. Just like in America we concentrate more on our differences than what makes us so similar.

I can't stand seeing a G-body with the interior all ripped out and the big fat *ss gauges everywhere. But that's not my car, and whoever it is for has the right to do whatever he wants to it. Just like I'm sure those same people hate to see a Kandy painted Cutlass sitting on 26's. But I love that sh*t. I've almost wrecked my car looking at cars like that. But that's what I like. To each his own. If everybody like exactly the same thing, we'd all be driving the same exact car. I guess that's my 2 pennies. Just enjoy the art of it. I do! Let me know what ya'll think.

sickolds

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2010
i love all AMERICAN cars. especially 1980s down back when they were made with pride and quality. i love every thing from back in the days. 80s 70s 60s 50s those were the days of hard working americans that toke pride at what they did

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
redboy504 said:
I feel like G-bodies really represent america in so many was. Each of our cars represents us as people and what we like. It's funny to me when I see people arguing on here about what looks good and what doesn't. But they don't understand that's the beauty of this whole G-body thing. Two different people can take the exact same car and come up with two completely different outcomes. Each one is still a masterpiece to it's owner and a piece of American history.

We all love these cars for completely different reasons. I'm from New Orleans, I grew up in the 80's. During that time these were the cars that all the big timers drove. There was even a song called "Cutlass, Monte Carlo's and Regal's" by the Big Tymers in the 90's. When I grew up these were the hottest cars on the streets. I used to love seeing them drive by grawling. They still call them Dope Man Cutlass or Regal, because that's what the dope man had at the time.

I'm sure everybody's story is a little different, and everybody's vision is different. But we're all here for the same reasons. We love these cars. Just like in America we concentrate more on our differences than what makes us so similar.

I can't stand seeing a G-body with the interior all ripped out and the big fat *ss gauges everywhere. But that's not my car, and whoever it is for has the right to do whatever he wants to it. Just like I'm sure those same people hate to see a Kandy painted Cutlass sitting on 26's. But I love that sh*t. I've almost wrecked my car looking at cars like that. But that's what I like. To each his own. If everybody like exactly the same thing, we'd all be driving the same exact car. I guess that's my 2 pennies. Just enjoy the art of it. I do! Let me know what ya'll think.

AMEN!

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I agree!!!
I hired into Buick on Oct. 13th, 1964, and retired from GM Power Train on Oct. 1, 2001. I've been driving for almost 50 years and in that time I have NEVER owned a car or truck built by a foreign car manufacturer (and never will).
USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!

Doug

Reactions: 1 user

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
First car I learned to drive was in 78 Cutlass, and then bought my 71 Cutlass Supreme from my grandma. The 71 was nice 350 4bbl, white with black vinyl roof. I tore that car up with different drivelines. 430 Buick Engine from a drag car back then around 1977. I kept tearing up transmission's, until I finally put a turbo 400 in. Then got a 12 Bolt Posi for 30 Bucks, just had to swap rearends in a day. I went in the air force and went to take it to my first base (being a dummy should have left at home). Had to swap out the engine with a buick 455. Drove from Detroit to Phoenix, that was nightmare in itself. Half way through Illinois blew out an airshock and tore up my M50-15's. Had to ride my bicycle down the freeway to buy another spare. On the way back while balancing the spare on the bike, the front pedals decide to puke all the roller/ball bearings out and I went tumbling on the freeway. Some farmer has a customer 10 speed in his feed as decided to throw it in a fit of rage at this point. Now I put on the spares and start driving to Phoenix. Because of the angle of the suspension now and no shocks the car would only do 55 mph before it would shake violently and I would lose control. Somewhere in Oklahoma the fuel line decides to split by the rear axle and I stop moving. I again had to crawl under the car and repair the fuel line. I can tell you that the asphalt in July is hotter than hell. At this point its getting real hot out and I haven't showered for days. I was getting evil looks from the gas station attendant because I stunk so bad. After sleeping in rest area's for four nights (didn't have money for a hotel and there were no such things as credit or debit cards at that time and you didn't have to worry about getting raped or killed). I finally made it back to Phoenix with 5 dollars in my pocket and a 1/4 tank of gas. I was going to race the 71 cutlass and drive my 1980 Cutlass Calais. But as fate would have it, I got orders to go over to Korea a few months later and had to sell it..I get back to the states and I am now in Vegas 4 yrs later and I get a call from the Nevada DMV. "We found your car, what would you like us to do with it?" I was excited then they said, "By the way it is completely stripped and headed for the crusher". It was like losing your best friend. I have built two G-Body's the way GM should have. 79 Cutlass with 455 Olds, and now my project car. 84 Buick with a 355, 5 speed and 3.73's.

Attachments

• 79 and 80.jpg
    79 and 80.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,882
  • 79 Cutlass with 455.jpg
    79 Cutlass with 455.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,875
  • thumb_100_8090.JPG
    thumb_100_8090.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,874

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
old tinsmith said:
I agree!!!
I hired into Buick on Oct. 13th, 1964, and retired from GM Power Train on Oct. 1, 2001. I've been driving for almost 50 years and in that time I have NEVER owned a car or truck built by a foreign car manufacturer (and never will).
USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!

Doug
Small world, I worked at the GM Desert Proving Grounds from 1991-94 best job I ever had.
Worked at Cadillac for the rest of the time .
I bought my El Camino in 1982 & would rather walk than drive a foreign car :mrgreen:

CuttyKid442

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
Washington,DC
redboy504 said:

I completely agree brotha! I know for myself no matter what I go thought with my Cutlass I'm always gonna try my best to keep it up and running.

82Calais

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2011
redboy504 said:
our cars represents us as people and everybody's vision is different. we're all here for the same reasons.

Its amazing what people will say when hiding behind a keyboard. If its not a positive comment keep it to yourself. Go out & enjoy your car.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
82Calais said:
redboy504 said:
our cars represents us as people and everybody's vision is different. we're all here for the same reasons.

Its amazing what people will say when hiding behind a keyboard. If its not a positive comment keep it to yourself. Go out & enjoy your car.
WTF?^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor