Gbody 8.5 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I got mine for $300....and yes I'm bragging! :lol: The guy was parting an '85 442 and knew it was an 8.5" but didn't think it was posi because he couldn't find the rpo code. He could have also looked at the big honkin posi tag on the cover too! I just nonchalantly spun a tire, observed and kept my mouth shut. It pays (literally) to know what you have. It's nice to catch a break once in awhile.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I'd like to steer this thread. HOW did you find your 8.5? Some have posted the details. I had been looking casually for about three years. When I got serious, I stated bidding on EBay but let a few good deals go because the shipping would have doubled the cost. In the end I found one from a Forum member who was willing to put it on a pallet and get it shipped at a way cool price. Not often you find good deals like that. This is the kind of detail that would help the new members shopping for the G-body goodies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
ssn696 said:
I'd like to steer this thread. HOW did you find your 8.5? Some have posted the details. I had been looking casually for about three years. When I got serious, I stated bidding on EBay but let a few good deals go because the shipping would have doubled the cost. In the end I found one from a Forum member who was willing to put it on a pallet and get it shipped at a way cool price. Not often you find good deals like that. Thsi si the kind of detail that would help the new members shopping for the G-body goodies.

Two words....due diligence. I was checking local classifieds, Craigslist in several cities, ebay, junkyards, several racing websites, word of mouth ,etc. Back before the Internet, a little footwork and looking in yards would usually yield decent results. Now you have to expand your horizons and be creative when searching. I didn't just look for an 8.5", I was looking for people parting out 442's, GN's, and t-types. I'd also use keywords like posi, 10 bolt, 12 bolt, turbo buick, hurst, etc. I even look for words people commonly misspell....like Rivera or Tornado for instance. You have to have an angle to get ahead in the game. The good deals are far and few unless you find people that don't know what they have or just don't give a sh*t. I casually looked for about a year because I refused to pay upwards of $800 for one.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I paid way less for my 2 8.5 ten g body 10 bolts.... one I paid 250 for it the other 160 with free Hotchkis control arms! :mrgreen:

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
I found my 8.5 ( 3.73 open rear) locally here in NJ a few years back, Came from an 84 H/O IIRC that was t- boned and the Kid bought it thinking it was repairable. He did not know what he had being he cut the shifter cable for the lightning rods. I got my rear end with the e brake cables and drive shaft for $250. It took a while of searching and looknig and i happen to be the first one to call about the rear. However, the individual I dealt with (chris cutlass aka Chris Palkowski) was banned from this site for poor business practices twice and was known on f-body forums to receive payment and not ship parts. Took me 2 weeks to get my jack stands back from him, his father was a nice individual who ended up rectifying his son's issues on numerous occasions. Had i known all of this i would have not bothered with the translation, but i could no pass up a 40k mile original 8.5 for that price.

cutloosecutlass81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2013
Yeah they go for the same amount here that's why I started doubting if it was a posi or not. The guy I bought off of said "back in my day they were going for $600-$800 I don't know what they're worth now" I told him rebuilt ones or good ones go for about $1,000-$1400 from what I found so far

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
took me a year to find my 8.2 posi, the G body rears are too narrow

What are the 8.2's usually found in? Bolt in deal for a g-body or mods needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor