gutting a smog pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
i just got my serp setup from a 94 caprice for my SBC but the dang smog pump has seized up. I have read before just cant find it now, that you can gut out the inside of the smog pump so it runs freely and will never seize up again i was thinking of running a smog pump bypass kit but it looks kinda ghetto rigged for almost 50.00 shipped they could of made it look better. So how do i gut this pump out? PICS are greatter then words :D

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I'm not sure how comparible the B-body serpentine setup is to the F-body setups from the 3rd gens are, but on the F-body there is an alternate belt routing way that just completely bypasses the pump and all you need is a longer belt. Googled it and said the B-body is the same but not 100% sure.

http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine

They "say" that people have reported tossing belts at higher RPMS with it done like this, but I wouldn't think that'd be a problem with the right sized belt and properly working tensioner.

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
yeah i went that route before and for some odd reason my belt sometimes jump at high rpm especially if i smashed on the while i am already at high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor