has anyone ever heard of this car before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
I was just searching through kijiji in my area and i came across this 1980 buick century turbo. it kinda looks like a malibu in the front but a hatch back. i have never seen or heard of this car before but i guess according to the add its 1 of 49 ever made. i was just wondering if these cars are g-bodys or not?

heres the link to the add

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z125470518

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
i havent replied to the add but i was wondering that too

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
OldBlue82 said:
I was just searching through kijiji in my area and i came across this 1980 buick century turbo. it kinda looks like a malibu in the front but a hatch back. i have never seen or heard of this car before but i guess according to the add its 1 of 49 ever made. i was just wondering if these cars are g-bodys or not?

heres the link to the add

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z125470518

It's not a hatchback. It's an Aeroback, and despite the roofline, it has a conventional trunk lid, not a hatchback. Aeroback Centuries and Cutlii were sold for 1978-1980. They haven't gotten any better looking. And yes, the Turbo V6 was a factory option. It uses a draw-through Q-jet. Buick also sold Turbo V6 LeSabers and Rivieras.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
A guy that lives a couple blocks away is selling a 79 Lesabre V6 Turbo. Was white on red and wanted like $1800. Now he had it painted silver, added some nice wheels. Don't know what he wants now>

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
They were scarce because they didn't sell well, but 1 of 49 ? I don't remember them being that scarce, and I sold Buicks from '78-'2001. I had a '78 "Century Sport Coupe" version with a 305V8, that I later swapped for a 400 Chevy motor. I somewhat liked the body style because it was unlike the landau top, opera window, waterfall grille trends of the time. The back end design is what made them kinda ugly, but I think a well designed "whale tail" spoiler that wrapped around the sides could make the design lines a lot more cohesive. Lotsa good parts: Quick ratio steering, big front & rear sway bars. Interior is probably vinyl, as there were no leather buckets available back then. I'm glad it isn't closer to home, as I'd be really tempted to have a look, and would likely wind up dragging it home if it was truly rust-free. I still have the 400 motor/ 350 trans in my garage from when I scrapped my '78 10 years ago due to terminal rust. With some skillful redesigning of the rear end it would be a one of the more unique G-bodys.

Bill

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Actually, its the predecessor to the G body-its an A body. From '78-'81 these cars were A bodies, then they became the G body in 1982. Its an interesting car for sure, but I'm forced to wonder how valuable it is without the original turbo engine & trans. It might make an interesting vehicle to use to swap in a later Buick GN engine & transmission. As for the rarity, I wonder if the seller might mean that it is 1 of 49 that was sold in Canada that year.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
i think its kind of a shame the guy wants to part it out. if it is truly in good condition i think it would be worth restoring eventhough im not really a big fan of the back end. i think with the right set of wheels and maybe something cool for a power plant under the hood it could be a cool car.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
meh, I personally thought they were Fugly when new and time has not changed my opinion the slightest. The only cool part was the bulge in the hood.

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
For 1980 the Aeroback Century was sold only as a coupe. The sedan was dropped in 79. It is a rare car period and really rare with a turbo. Would definately check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor