Header Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Since swapping my 383 into the Monte, my passenger-side Hedman longtube header will not fit as it runs into the frame/A-arm. I suspect this is due to the World S/R torquers are dimensionally slightly wider than the stock 305 heads. I was wondering what the best fix for this would be that is not buying new headers. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
My motor mounts could probably be replaced. The header barely connects but it is enough so that it will not seal against the head. I might try replacing my mounts. I've though about beating it in to fit but I was wondering if there were any significant power losses from doing so. Thanks again

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would try lifting the engine a few inches and install the header and drop the engine down slowly to see how the header fits...

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
That's an interesting idea. I think it would probably still connect and I don't have any of them new-fangled locking header bolts so I would assume it would just unseal again. Thanks for the idea though.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
ok, just to ask...are you trying to install the entire header into the engine or you just unbolted them and tied them out of the way?

Because if you have to install the complete header it will not happen unless you have some very tall jackstands or lifting the enging up some. but you should not have any problem with those header you have if they are the right ones for you application.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
As my above post stated, when I had the original 305, the headers fit fine. I think that the aftermarket heads on my new engine are maybe a little different width because the header on my passenger side now hits the A-arm. The headers and engine are in the car now and bolted up. It's just the header on the passenger side doesn't quite seal against the head completely. My motor mounts/pads are the originals and I think maybe the engine maybe sagging because of them just enough to cause the header to hit the passenger side A-arm. I may still have to relieve it. Anymore information on what could be causing it to not fit or any other suggestions on how to fix it or how denting the header affects performance is appreciated. Thanks guys

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yeah I would go ahead and try a new set of engine mounts before you make any dents in the headers. I had new mounts on mine and still had to beat the primaries up quite a bit. I'm now wondering if poly mounts may have made header clearance a little better versus the standard rubber mounts...

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
You might try checking with World and see if they have had reports of any issues. A small dent isnt going to hurt performance. Since you had them on the car once I still believe the motor mounts are the issue.You can pick up stock replacements from autozone,etc. Can you post a pic for us to check out the area?

I have never tried the locking header bolts. Are they really worth it? I use a really good gasket and regular header bolts along with good headers with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor