Headers for Cutlass with 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I, as well as others had no problem with my Sanderson headers.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Shortie headers are mostly the better fit, but Personally I prefer the Headman 58160 over the Sanderson shortie. The difference is in the primaries, 1 3/4 verses 1 5/8.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The small primary are fine for mild builds. If I ever get my 403 stroker done, those Sanderson headers are going to be tiny. I may go Hedman but I am pretty sure there shorties aren't available coated.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Problem with small tube headers on an Olds is the port mismatch between the large outlets on the heads and the small inlets of the headers.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
itis34 said:
I have the Hedman 58078 headers on my Cutlass. 58078 is the ceramic coated version of the long tube header that you have the link for. I also put a Summit brand mini starter on it as well. The instructions say to use the original starter, but I had to dimple a tube to get the mini starter on it. I looked at re-using the original starter, but I think it would have required more modifications. Installation took a little bit of time, but I am happy with them. Much happier than the Flowtech headers that I put on it the first time. The Flowtechs fit well, but the flanges were very thin and warped easily. I always had exhaust leaks with the Flowtechs

I have flowtechs on my car and I put flex joints after them so they would seal better. No issue at all so far. It allows the exhaust to move a little as well. The flowtechs afterburners are decent for the money, but the paint sucks. It burns off in no time- it's more of a rust preventor than paint. I usually paint them with VHT before installing them, but I was in a hurry to get them in this time.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
olds307 and 403 said:
I may go Hedman but I am pretty sure there shorties aren't available coated.

Your right, the Hedmans don't have a coating. they are just painted. I have heard of a few aluminized coatings that cure with the heat of the header. I used a product like this way back that was a brush on. It worked great, the coating stayed on for two years before having to be recoated.

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
Found Hedman 51860, I'm gonna buy used once, havent been on a car, but will be cheaper for me :) Talked to seller, he's gonna let me test fit them first so I can be sure before buying them :)

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
Headers were after all 58070 so they were long once. Test fitted them to my car, didn't fit, hits the starter. My starter is Powermaster XS Torque. Any advices, which headers should I try next?

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
I'm going to reply here also, as well as my project topic. Bought Hedman 51860 headers, driverside is bit thight, nearly hits the steering shaft (it's from Jeep). There is about 5mm clearance so I'm guessing it will be enough. The frame is also pretty close on driverside but it will fit. Couple of photos.

oldsi%2B004.JPG

oldsi%2B003.JPG

oldsi%2B002.JPG

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I went w/the flowtech ceramic coated headers. Fitment is ok at best. I wanted to stick w/stock manifolds, but the passenger side manifold was too close to the firewall and finding a down pipe to work with stock manifolds isnt easy either. I think Thorton's makes them, not sure. They also make dual exhaust manifolds for the olds 350 with the crossover casting removed to improve flow and appearance. A bit pricey, but Im sure they look great on an old Olds engine. Just went with the headers because it was quicker and cheaper. They are a bit loud for my taste and I havent noticed much difference in the performance category either. Probably will end up going back to manifolds and stockish duals eventually, unless I decide to build the SBO into a w31 monster... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor