Heater core. Won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
So when I took my CSC in to get tuned up, they told me the list of problems it had and i splurged the money to get it fixed. This included the valve gaskets, transmission mounts, sparks/wires, distributor, and a trans leak. So When I picked it up yesterday, they told me they found out the heater core was leaking and put something in it to help. I never noticed this before and the heat worked perfectly, no moisture. Now tonight it was freezing, I turned the heat on and the coolant smelling steam came out full blast and the car died. Now it won't start, it turns, but it won't start. What the hell did they put in it and why did it just happen to do this now? Bc I'm pissed.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The heater core has nothing to do with starting of the car. It's specifically an additional radiator to help provide heat with help from a blower motor. Nothing to do with ignition, etc.

Sounds like you need to educate yourself, or else you're going to continue to be taken by unscrupulous mechanics. I think they may have sold you a bill o' goods that you didn't necessarily need.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My guess is that maybe the connector at the distributor lost connection if it wasn't plugged in all the way. That would be their mistake. I'm going to partially take the other side of Longroof's argument on this one. I don't think you were being ripped off or scammed since the repairs you listed are typical of any car with age or mileage. Basically maintenance items.

As for the heater core -- I'm not necessarily defending the guy who worked on your car, BUT...to be fair, your car is 30 years old. It's not inconceivable that the heater core was leaking (or at the least, super fragile due to age) when you took it in. They were working near the the inlet/outlet and could have finished it off without doing much more than look at it funny. They probably thought they were helping you out with the stop-leak but I'm not a fan, myself. You can easily bypass the heater core for a while until you get a chance to replace it.

If you call the shop and let them know what's going on, they'll probably be glad to help. No one want's dissatisfied customers and they probably want to make it right. BE NICE! And try to keep some perspective about the situation. If you get all pissed and blame them for every last thing that might be worn out on an old car you'll be branded unreasonable and it won't help the situation.

One more thing; The list of repairs are relatively basic. No special tools or skills required. You probably could have saved quite a bit of money doing them yourself. I don't know your skill level but from the sound of your post you might be well served to get your hands dirty. The better you know your own car -- the safer your car (and possibly your wallet) is.

Good luck and keep us posted.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
DRIVEN said:
If you call the shop and let them know what's going on, they'll probably be glad to help. No one want's dissatisfied customers and they probably want to make it right. BE NICE! And try to keep some perspective about the situation. If you get all pissed and blame them for every last thing that might be worn out on an old car you'll be branded unreasonable and it won't help the situation.

x2

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Driven, like you said, it could be something simple like the distributor bat+ connector or something of that nature.
I might have gone off the limb regarding unscrupulous mechanics. They're not all dishonest and ready to drain your wallet.
Many of the parts that were mentioned are things that do wear out over time. The distributor probably could or didn't have to be replaced at this time. Just playing devil's advocate here. Wires, plugs, filters, etc, are commonly replaced on a regular interval basis.
BTW, I'm also an opponent of radiator stop leak.

I also agree about calling the shop and letting them know that the car won't start...what can they do about it? And again, be NICE. As the old adage goes. "you catch more flies with honey, than vinegar".

I reiterate what I said about educating yourself. Acquire books and manuals that will help you with the upkeep and maintenance of your ride. Unless you have deep pockets and money is no object, you may want to learn how do things yourself.
We all started somewhere. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, it can help save you a bunch of money in the long run.
Just my $.02

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
Longroof79 said:
The heater core has nothing to do with starting of the car. It's specifically an additional radiator to help provide heat with help from a blower motor. Nothing to do with ignition, etc.

Sounds like you need to educate yourself, or else you're going to continue to be taken by unscrupulous mechanics. I think they may have sold you a bill o' goods that you didn't necessarily need.

Lol I didn't take it in for that. And I'm not that dumb. Turns out the dealer ran it outta gas and ofc the gauge doesn't work. I'm a dumbass. But I didn't get swindled. I checked in with them everyday and knew what they were replacing. I'm learning more everyday but neither me or my dad had time to do this work ourselves. I take care of my grandma and he works 70 hours a week.

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
DRIVEN said:
My guess is that maybe the connector at the distributor lost connection if it wasn't plugged in all the way. That would be their mistake. I'm going to partially take the other side of Longroof's argument on this one. I don't think you were being ripped off or scammed since the repairs you listed are typical of any car with age or mileage. Basically maintenance items.

As for the heater core -- I'm not necessarily defending the guy who worked on your car, BUT...to be fair, your car is 30 years old. It's not inconceivable that the heater core was leaking (or at the least, super fragile due to age) when you took it in. They were working near the the inlet/outlet and could have finished it off without doing much more than look at it funny. They probably thought they were helping you out with the stop-leak but I'm not a fan, myself. You can easily bypass the heater core for a while until you get a chance to replace it.

One more thing; The list of repairs are relatively basic. No special tools or skills required. You probably could have saved quite a bit of money doing them yourself. I don't know your skill level but from the sound of your post you might be well served to get your hands dirty. The better you know your own car -- the safer your car (and possibly your wallet) is.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you, :)
My skill level isn't very high yet but my car teaches me more everyday. I am taking the gauge cluster out next to stop these shenanigans lol. The dealer used all the gas I guess I filled it when i took it xP

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Thank you, :)
My skill level isn't very high yet but my car teaches me more everyday. I am taking the gauge cluster out next to stop these shenanigans lol. The dealer used all the gas I guess I filled it when i took it xP
Chances are the fuel gauge not working is the sending unit in the tank or the wiring to it. The heater core is an easy fix if you have AC, not so easy if the car didn't come with AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor