HELP with the wipers from hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
so my monte has no wipers, turn the nob to the on position and the wiper motor clicks, but doesnt run... i tried swapping it for a good motor out of my bu, but does the same thing, just makes an audible "click"... any help would be great, i need this car, its my DD, AND ITS STARTING TO RAIN

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Im no expert on electrical systems but I would check all your grounds. Rule those out first. Then check the wiring harness for bad connectors and broken wires.

spudd

Apprentice
Sep 10, 2012
I just took my 84 hurst out of storage and it is doing the same thing...they don't work but I can hear a click in the wiper motor.......
I am going to start with grounds like mentioned

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
figured it out... the metal housing of the motor has to make contact with the bracket it bolts too... not sure if the housing and bracket are used as a ground, but it works...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
BPTTONE420012 said:
figured it out... the metal housing of the motor has to make contact with the bracket it bolts too... not sure if the housing and bracket are used as a ground, but it works...

you will see one of the bolt holes/ grommets has a brass strip. That supplies ground from the cowl to the bolt, thru the brass strip to the circuit board. Once those get corroded they will cause problems. It's easiest to get to the bottom bolt by removing the inner wheelwell.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
axisg said:
BPTTONE420012 said:

you will see one of the bolt holes/ grommets has a brass strip. That supplies ground from the cowl to the bolt, thru the brass strip to the circuit board. Once those get corroded they will cause problems. It's easiest to get to the bottom bolt by removing the inner wheelwell.

I don't touch the bottom bolt. I remove the top 2 and the motor will pop out with the lower bolt installed with the rubber mount and you can slide it back in when re-installing

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
the three bolts all came out easily... tiny ratchet with extension and the motor was out in probably 3 min... i cleaned all the bolts till they shined, covered them in dielectric grease and stuck em back in, then cleaned up a screw in the housing of the motor and ran a jump wire from the housing screw to the bracket just as a failsafe... it works...

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
not sure if there is one, but the clicking wiper motor problem/solution should be made into a sticky... i know ALOT of people that have had this problem... hell i have had it on my bu and monte... never figured it out on my bu, but i had taken the motor out, and put it back in and it started working, and i had dropped/lost one of the bolts so i replaced it with a new one, so i am guessing the new bolt made the contact required... i never knew why it stopped working and started working, i was just happy it worked again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor