Hidden 1,000-vehicle junkyard heading for the crusher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Just east of Austin, Texas, sits 1,054 old American cars from the '40s, '50s and '60s, rusting in the elements and infested with rattlesnakes. Sometime today, a deal may be struck to crush what's not pure oxidation already.

http://m.jalopnik.com/5775744/hidden-10 ... he-crusher

I know this yard, though I've never been in it. About 10 years ago I worked for A/C Authority in Round Rock and we had a 57 Fairlane from Washington State with a cracked block. Need a new block and was told about this place. At the time you called the owner, an older guy, and made an appointment, and he'd walk you out there. From what I understood he was pretty eccentric.

I left messages but never could get the guy to call me back. I need to take a road trim out there and see if I can find this place. Always meant too back then, but eventually forgot about it.

-Mike

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Looks like it is south of Taylor off of 95 a few miles.

Map coordinates are: 30.462947,-97.335593

600 County Road 464
Coupland, TX 78615

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I may have to go down there in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the address.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'll bet there's some interesting cars in there. But on the other hand, you might be saddened by what you discover. What were once nice cars are now becoming one with the elements.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Man talk about hidden! I looked this up on Google Maps and it looks like this place sits WAYY off the road. You'd have to know it was there to find it.

Really cool how the plowed field goes right up to these. Man I'd love to go out there!

yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

yard4.jpg

yard3.jpg

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Longroof79 said:
I'll bet there's some interesting cars in there. But on the other hand, you might be saddened by what you discover. What were once nice cars are now becoming one with the elements.
The sun kills interiors, paint and anything rubber down here, but I bet those thick steeled vehicles are still in great condition. I just shot these this past weekend.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
so many projects, so little time...(and $$$ :roll: )

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Copied from the Mopar site:

The guy said there were rattlers and to be careful. Mostly Early 50's to late 60's cars. A deal is supposed to be struck Thursday to bring the Mobile car crusher out and destroy most of them. Most of the cars have a lot of rust for being sitting for 30+ years but there was millions of dollars in salvageable parts.

I got the doors from a 79 300 to perform the conversion to power windows on my Magnum.

You need to bring a shotgun and a pistol with you there to pull your parts. Some of the biggest Rattlers I've ever seen, everywhere under cars on that property. went out there to look at a specific car he had, but walked the field. It was almost sickening to see some of the cars that were just ruined.

If you look at the green arrow when you paste in 30.463581,-97.33366 That is two of the Old Thunderbolt Fords like run NSS.

30.462747,-97.335383 Is a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer Two Door hardtop. That at one time was a beautiful car. It had 1966 License plates on it and came from a dealer in Lockhart Texas.

30.463624,-97.335472 All under these trees were 40"s and 50's trucks Studebaker, Larks, Buicks Pontiacs fords.... All rusted to crap, surface rust that ate to the core. If the guy would have put some of the cars on blocks they could have been saved...

It's just a shame.............My heart would have stopped for a Bubble top Ventura.

The guy showing me around said he had to do the count and they had 1054 Cars back there (he also had another field that was going later)

Anyway 1054 cars at $200.00 in weight wholesale that's $210,000, that's IF he is only getting $200 a car. The guy said they were bringing a mobile crusher to crush them on the spot and then load them up unto 18 wheelers to get the to the metal yard.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
itsnotanova said:
Longroof79 said:
The sun kills interiors, paint and anything rubber down here, but I bet those thick steeled vehicles are still in great condition. I just shot these this past weekend.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

GREAT PICS! If you have any more please post them. Thanks!

And what a crime to crush those!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor