Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
HurstOlds said:
Have you guys seen this from Top Gear Korea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EsoWpTO2qg
Yea I saw that. They crashed that Cobra here in Arizona.
On March 01, 2012, at 1220 mountain standard time, N197LE, an experimental exhibition Bell AH-1F helicopter experienced a flight control malfunction while maneuvering and impacted the ground at Coolidge Municipal Airport (P08), Coolidge, Arizona. The helicopter was operated by the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation and Museum Inc. under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. The pilot and mechanic received minor injuries; the helicopter sustained substantial damage. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local area flight that departed P08 at an undetermined time.

According to the pilot, the purpose of the flight was to film a segment for the Korean Top Gear television series. He performed a preflight of the helicopter, and coordinated with his ground crew as well as the film crew as to the day's activities. The first filming sequence lasted approximately 10 minutes and included helicopter fly-bys.

The pilot stated that the next filming sequence, when the accident occurred, was to consist of a racing sequence with a Corvette. At 1205, they began a practice run/filming sequence that terminated at the start/finish line. The pilot initiated a right 150 to 180 degree turn reaching about 200 feet above the ground. He was attempting to neutralize the controls in preparation for a normal approach for landing when he realized the controls were "locked and unmovable in any direction." The pilot stated that the helicopter remained in the same rate of turn with the same collective pitch and cyclic input as when he had initiated the turn. The helicopter maintained the same arc through the turn and descent until it impacted the ground. The pilot further stated that he was reaching to activate the emergency hydraulic switch at impact.

Airworthiness inspectors from the Federal Aviation Administration responded to the site, and reported no obvious mechanical failures. The investigation is on-going.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
classic gbody said:
WOW Guys! I guess I am one of the few who love this show. These guys are funny as hell and all they do is rip on each other. So who cares if they destroyed a few clean rides. Hollywood destroys nice cars on a daily basis for both TV and movies. What about all those movies back in the 60's, 70's and 80's that destroyed cars. Its purely entertainment. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of each of those cars they destroyed were built. There are many others out there. :D

:rofl: Did you get paid to type that :rofl:

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I think Top Gear UK works with Americans because of its uniquely British character, perhaps alongside Benny Hill or Monty Python.
Some of our stuff that got great ratings in the UK bombed in America. Some of our shows are very well received in some counties and flop elsewhere. I guess it's a culture thing, some of your shows work over here because they are uniquely American, Taxi, or Desperate Housewives perhaps.
We Brits appear to love Aussie soaps, but our own top rated soap "Coronation Street" doesn't work in most of the rest of the world.
Top Gear UAS has been aired over here, I watched it and thought it was ok, but the presenters struck me as trying to be versions of Clarkson. Hammond and May. The German version is much more formal with driving taken seriously, the Australian version is almost constant messing around.
Maybe our car tv shows portray national stereotypes, would the race losers in a Japanese version commit Hari Kari?.

Roger.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
classic gbody said:
So who cares if they destroyed a few clean rides.

:wtf: This is like someone who is into art saying who cares if a few Picasso paintings get destroyed or the Mona Lisa is used for kindling. If you really don't understand how absurd this statement is, perhaps you are not really into cars as much as you think. Being OK with destroying what you are supposedly into is self defeating at the minimum.

Sorry folks, but this is the kind of attitude that leads to more and more good cars being destroyed and shrinks the market for companies to sell parts to, again, this is very self defeating and if you don't understand this go get your head examined.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
I love the Original Top Gear too....

Agreed, taking "good" cars that we love and need to help continue the future of this hobby, & readily destroying them in a very public way does not help the hobby in any way... They are not making any more and if we lose too many, their value will decline due to a lack of parts and general interest... same has happened to many others.

Ive tried to watch the American Top Gear a number of times but it just doesn't do it for me. The only episode I thought was funny was the trip with 4x4s where they had to trek offroad only without touching pavement...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Top gear UK any time & major props to Clarkson for smacking the dog sh*t out of Piers Morgan - now that's someones hand I want to shake

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
classic gbody said:
So who cares if they destroyed a few clean rides.

:wtf: This is like someone who is into art saying who cares if a few Picasso paintings get destroyed or the Mona Lisa is used for kindling. If you really don't understand how absurd this statement is, perhaps you are not really into cars as much as you think. Being OK with destroying what you are supposedly into is self defeating at the minimum.

Sorry folks, but this is the kind of attitude that leads to more and more good cars being destroyed and shrinks the market for companies to sell parts to, again, this is very self defeating and if you don't understand this go get your head examined.

Totally agree, I just didn't want to rip on the boy too much in one post :lol:

If the producers of the US show had a little more functionality than that of a mental patient they would fire the failed comedian and the Special Needs nascar reporter.
Neither of those guys have any talent behind a wheel except for opening the door to get the F*** OUT!
They need to try to hire Jay Leno and Tim Allen on a part time basis. Even with a limited amount of shows (those guys won't be cheap) it would be a much larger success than the absolute crap they're slinging out right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor