I'm thinking about a Big Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Give me a second I'll dig it up.

Yes no way you could run 10:1. 9:1 you could probably do but i'd say 8.5:1 is ideal especially since the thing can put out boost in the 20s.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
http://www.jegs.com/i/Vortech/933/4GP21 ... /-1?CT=999

Found it.

I researched it a little. Depending on boost level you may need an intercooler which can add a cost. Prices I've come up with...

Vortech kit: $2000
Blow through demon: $400-$600

Now some optional additional costs that can add to the price.

Intercooler: $200-$400
Tubing: nickle and dime you to death
Optional blower cam change: $200-$500 depending on roller or non
Lower compression ratio: Really depends

Now depending on your headgasket thickness, chamber size, piston design you might be able to squeek out that 1 point of compression by pulling the heads, having someone that knows what theyre doing port the chambers for a few more CCs and using a thicker head gasket. The other option is to find someone who would trade you a bigger chambered head for yours.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I got ya............I saw that in my Jegs Catalog that just came in the mail...It's on the front cover.......It states though that it's only 125 hp....Wouldn't I be better off getting a 150 shot of NOS???

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
JBreu said:
I got ya............I saw that in my Jegs Catalog that just came in the mail...It's on the front cover.......It states though that it's only 125 hp....Wouldn't I be better off getting a 150 shot of NOS???

The 125hp rating is based on adding that to a stock motor. I researched he super charger trim/size and the V3 si supports 725 or 775hp and like 25psi.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
You could also look at the m122 magna charger setups. Theyre about $800 more but come with an edelbrock carb setup for drawthrough. Plus theyre roots and the magnacharger is suppose to be the most responsive charger on the market. Put your foot into it and your at full boost.

I'm looking into that kit because the blowthrough carbs suck to tune.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
stomis said:
You could also look at the m122 magna charger setups. Theyre about $800 more but come with an edelbrock carb setup for drawthrough. Plus theyre roots and the magnacharger is suppose to be the most responsive charger on the market. Put your foot into it and your at full boost.

I'm looking into that kit because the blowthrough carbs suck to tune.
I hear ya there.....I gotta do some more research.......If you go that route , tell me how you like it 8)

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Thats at least a year out for me lol. I plan on putting the 355 in my car, driving it while I build myself a truck. Once my truck is built the 442 will go back in the shop for a built trans first and then a wicked motor.

I'm on the fence on alot of things. Centrifugal or Roots blower, stick with a stock block and do a 383 or 388 OR go big bucks with an aftermarket block and 434ci.

Either way I'll be aiming for a 450-500hp 8.5:1 motor base with 10-12 pounds on top. I'm hoping to put out between 650-750hp at the crank for a goal of 500hp to the wheels and run a 10.0-10.4 on drag radial and still be completely streetable and driven daily (when its nice out lol).

I will be building it from the very start with the super charger. So I'll be choosing heads, cam, compression, etc all on the plans to have it blown.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi have you ever set up one of the vortech superchargers? Man one of the boys had a paxton charger on his 383 and couldn't get it to work or tune it right.and his old man has a wheel dyno in his body and performance shop thay even had all the gear that was called for it and more. The new carb that was made for the hairblower lol form the CARB SHOP didn't work that good and it was like $1000 for the carb .I told him to get the 6-71 if he realy wanted a blower but he scraped the blower idea. I think the best way to do it is with a 6-71 or something like it just my 2cents worth.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Larryg said:
What are your 60' times and mph at the stripe? A loose converter and short gears might get you in the 11's right now.
My 60' times are horrible, 1.84 and the mph is 108 @12.67..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor