installing Dorman gas tank in Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Re: installing Dorman gas tank in Malibu-filler neck out of

I agree that the best thing to do is try to bend the neck down. I did an efi tank swap in my regal back in.......2005 or so. The mistake i made was that i had already put gas in it before i mounted the licence plate bracket so i was hesitant to mess with it too much. I did use a bar of some sort to pry the neck down, but when i did it obviously protruded further out against the license plate. What really needs to be done with my tank inlet is i need to "crunch" it down(imagine a line drawn through the center of the gas inlet and the the center of the spot on the tank where it is welded on. I need to move the opening down and in along that line.) I ended up spacing the license plate bracket out with two tall 3/8" nuts and the plate holds against the gas cap when it is up instead of the bumpers. I have to open the truck lid to get the pump nozzle to seat correctly and allow me to fill the tank at the normal speed. Usually i just try to get the attendant(Jersey laws....yay.) to let me pump it myself slow to not cause burps or constant shutoffs of the pump. Once gas is in the tank there are no problems however.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

Sooo .... that's what this accordion section is for, and as long as it bends there it's good. Hmm ....

It seems to me I'd have to crimp that quite a bit to get the cap down where it needs to go.

EDIT: The amount of kink required appears to be something less than 1/5 of a peak-to-peak measure along the bottom of that accordion, peak-to-peak being about 5/8". Whether less than 1/5 of 5/8" is "quite a bit" would depend on how you look at it. How I'm looking at it right now is stalling around finding other things to do, such wild stabs at the math, rather than doing the thing itself.

Attachments

• dsc00804.jpg
    dsc00804.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 516
Sep 13, 2014

I agree. Bend the neck.

The future isn't what it use to be.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

robandmandie442 said:
The future isn't what it use to be.

I try not to let the state of spacetime influence my decisions about how to fix my car. :mrgreen:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
By the way, the short answer is yes, this Dorman tank DOES pump full of gas at full speed, full trigger.

I'm not quite ready to explain exactly how I got it installed to find that out, yet .... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor