Installing double-din stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Help! I ordered a double-din head unit and it is a little to big to fit in the space on my 86 Olds 442. Has anyone done this install before or have any pictures to share, I'd like to get to work on it once I get a few ideas in my head. I don't want to butcher the car up to much - I'd like to keep a stock look if possible with the HVAC controls, although I don't mind losing the lighter plug.

Any help would be appreciated.

bullet83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2013
RunAwayNJ said:
Help! I ordered a double-din head unit and it is a little to big to fit in the space on my 86 Olds 442. Has anyone done this install before or have any pictures to share, I'd like to get to work on it once I get a few ideas in my head. I don't want to butcher the car up to much - I'd like to keep a stock look if possible with the HVAC controls, although I don't mind losing the lighter plug.

Any help would be appreciated.
depends if its a flip out deck or just a big screen? i have a 7" flip out that works fine but i am not sure if you will be able to get a sceen bigger then 3"-4" with removing the heating controls

rip1976

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2012
Been there done that and even took pictures lol. My advise is unless you have a unit that has a really good remote where you don't have to touch the screen alot to do anything FORGET IT. I got so tired of reaching down all the time and trying to keep my eyes on the road. IMO its a real big hassle thats why I never pursued making any more plates and selling them

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
not sure if this is considered double din by definition but it has to be pretty close. just made some custom mounts for the sides and it fit in well

2do1m0.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Peter said:
not sure if this is considered double din by definition but it has to be pretty close. just made some custom mounts for the sides and it fit in well

That's a standard GM 1.5 din, not a double din. I believe most people end up relocating the heater controls to fit a double din.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor