Interesting Camshaft Video, Thoughts?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Well that's true and down side of what the yoohootube algorithm pulls up as next in line. The thing that I found interesting is finding an ATBE study with actual results. One thing is seeing wider is smoother (typically) and better for selling cars to the general public, while narrower is choppier, but develops power.

The efficiency and effectiveness of the change over from Chemical to Thermal to Kinetic gets rather cerebral... Yet, to see actual charted results between the three different setups is what helps overall understanding. It is definitely a big help in cam selection, when it comes to the actual build.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Well that's true and down side of what the yoohootube algorithm pulls up as next in line. The thing that I found interesting is finding an ATBE study with actual results. One thing is seeing wider is smoother (typically) and better for selling cars to the general public, while narrower is choppier, but develops power.

The efficiency and effectiveness of the change over from Chemical to Thermal to Kinetic gets rather cerebral... Yet, to see actual charted results between the three different setups is what helps overall understanding. It is definitely a big help in cam selection, when it comes to the actual build.
I agree for a street engine, the wider lsa has a smoother idle and as a kid we all wanted 106-108 for the choppy idle. But when I got into the bigger race engines I started seeing race cams were being made at 112,114, 116, which was against what I thought made power. And then when I thought I should have a 112 based on the catalogs for my 548 the cam grinder sent me a 109 lsa cam. Now right or wrong I changed the heads and cam on my car and went from a 9.48 to a 9.16 on first pass compared to the cam I had in the motor. But I also agree a new cam gains are based on how bad the setup was before and I think it was pretty far off before. Was the 109 cam the RIGHT cam? I don’t know it was the only one I ran in the motor. Eventually went 9.03 with it.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor