Introducing Resources... Now What Goes In It?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Is this one of the things you calcuated? This analysis is based on my personal opinion. I was aiming to minimize the amount of conflict with the stock car geometry. Lowering adds conflict. Wider adds conflict. Etc.

heck yeah. now what do the colors mean on that or am I missing something obvious? It's a little vague but heck yeah.

Good luck. Getting someone to do research that doesn't consist of clicking on google, typing in a term of phrase, and then pushing enter is like trying to lemmings to not kill themselves.

The older guys will use it more than the newer members would be my guess.

Not to be pessimistic, but truly, good luck.

The "google" thing is actually a big factor in doing this, believe it or not. Right now the big G has it in for forums because they just decided one day (lot of that going around but that's a different story) that forum content wasn't as good as anything else and slashed impressions/clicks across the board.

By putting together an authoritative resource center hopefully we a) put it all in one place and b) get it noticed and linked to, etc. so that google shows it versus 50 highly opnionated "what tire fits" threads.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Here's a stupid idea: since so many newbs don't realize how much cross pollination can occur, how hard would it be to create a specific car search? Drop downs to pick year, make, and model that filter the board to their car only..... not a sermon; just a thought.

Probably impossible. Unless you're going to volunteer to classify every single thread by what car it applies to, then come up with a way to store that in the database, then write an entirely new way to search the site using it. Just, no.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Probably impossible. Unless you're going to volunteer to classify every single thread by what car it applies to, then come up with a way to store that in the database, then write an entirely new way to search the site using it. Just, no.
Nope, just spitballin'. I just figured that keywords linked to a search would work. Nevermind.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Nope, just spitballin'. I just figured that keywords linked to a search would work. Nevermind.

I mean, you can just search for i.e. "1985 Cutlass" and everything where that appears will show up, so... but no way to "filter" the entire site by that, no, unless I don't understand what you mean. (so that i.e. you ONLY see posts with that word/combo?)

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
- Talking specifically about those automotive calculator pages. They're literally from like 1999 and if I can re-do them but incorporated into the site then...
- Yes, I don't expect people will stop asking the same questions. This way we can go "check HERE" and hopefully if they do search Google this provides another vector to the site, but a more decisive and definitive one than just another forum thread where there may not be clear factual solution but just a bunch of people's opinions.
- See above
- I approved it. If you hadn't written the description the way you did I wouldn't have. Seems legit.

Don't know how much if any of this I can do today. Good suggestions and comments so far.

Thank you. I don't want it to be a bash fest. If it becomes one then put an end to the group. I'm heading over there to get it started.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, like on parts sites: so instead of typing "1985 Olds/mobile Cutlass" in the search box, there's an alternate search with drop downs for years, make, model, and/or engine...
I'm no web designer, but most of those seem to filter as each box populates. I figured there would be some sort of plug-in for the software available or something.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
You may be right. Search engines are too broad, key words are typically too vague. IF, there were better ways to get more specific when entering info, we may be able to get better information out of the application.
On the other hand, it would be nice though, to be able to look up an item or subject, and narrow it down to the individuals needs; and also, if needed, expand back out with an interchange listing for parts searches.

Thank you for taking on this project. Looks like it will be a real head scratcher to figure out.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A guide to wheel fitment would be helpful- pics of installed wheels with backspace, diameter, width, and tire size specs would be nice.

What I've run into with this topic on another forum is that peoples' ideas of fitment varies greatly.

For me, that means no rubbing, no cutting of pinchwelds, no frame notching. I understand that some people are fine with those, but if they're involved, they need to be called out and detailed in the post

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
This is a great idea.
My suggestion for layout would be to follow the service manual tabs. Like this;
I will start here, seems like a good idea. If nothing else it will give people a starting point for where to put submissions....

• Agree

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Also: Moderators, don't just blindly approve content meant for this part of the site, or for threads in the "Resource" forum. I need to keep a tight control over this stuff for the time being. Thx.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor