Is there a "how-to" assist when tuning with a wide band ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
OK next tank. I just filled up this morning at Petro. Although with me kicking the secondaries like I have I should need a fresh tank tomorrow :)
Took my friend out for a ride tonight before our monthly "wings n beer". He helped swing this motor in and he was pretty impressed with just the few changes to timing and setting the carb has done to the car. Took it to a back lot by his house off the public roads and leaned into it pretty good. Laid a couple 11's and a few do-nuts. It was fun :)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a tank a day at $60....did you get a raise? You are going really like that A/F gauge, it lets you know exactly what the carb is doing. If the 02 sensor ever dies on you and it's common for the 02 sensors AEM uses you can get a NTK 24320 to use. My AEM 02 died and I replaced it with the NGK which is supposed to be better and more durable

Last edited:

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
what about the fuel, if you are running e 10 the non ethanol gas will richen up the mixture without adjusting the carb and the engine will run better
Any opinion on the 94 octane at petrocanada?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

I don't know how often the website is updated ( didn't even know it existed until last week ). Esso, Shell, Costco, Cdn Tire, and Ultramar Premium seem to be Ethanol Free in Ontario. 90% of my fuel is from Esso ( company card ) but Petro is closer to the house. Like GP pointed out I will have to check and see if my occasional tank at Petro has been my issue for years when the car seems "off" ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
At the stations I mentioned they have a sticker on 89 and 91 octane that there is up to 10% ethanol and no sticker on the premium. I'm not sure about Petrocan but I do know if you go far enough north in Ontario stations have no ethanol in their gas. The reason why some have ethanol free premium and up north no ethanol is because there is not enough ethanol to go around and they even have to import some

from another forum..

"Torpedo Fishing Products for the past 2 years have been pushing Canadian Tire gas to provide ethanol free gas for all three gas grades. The benefits to Canadian Tire Gas outlets is not having to check twice a day for water levels in the main tank which is a huge cost when considering it is a nation wide company.

The main issue was with the government as they have an agenda for ethanol. A loophole was found as not enough ethanol is being produced in Canada to provide all gas stations with 10% ethanol, so ethanol would have to be bought from outside Canada. As some have known Shell gas has taken advantage of this loophole by providing ethanol free gas in their premium blend.

After extensive government talks, it was agreed that Canadian Tire must provide Ethanol gas for 12 locations while the rest can be ethanol free. This will last until Canada produces enough ethanol satisfy it's agenda.

I have checked all of the Canadian Tire gas bars in London Ontario and all are ethanol free.

Here is how you check. First you can ask the attendant how often they check their gas for water. If they tell you twice a day then that gas station has not converted to ethanol free gas. If they check the tanks once a week or once every two weeks then that gas station has changed over to ethanol free gas at all blends. The other way to check for your own personal satisfaction is as follows. Take a 500ml water bottle and leave 1.5 inches of water in the bottle and mark that water line with a magic marker. Then fill the water bottle with gas to 3/4's full. Then shake the water bottle. Let the fluid settle and if the water level has risen then there is ethanol. If the water level stays the same then you have ethanol free gas. "

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
At the stations I mentioned they have a sticker on 89 and 91 octane that there is up to 10% ethanol and no sticker on the premium. I'm not sure about Petrocan but I do know if you go far enough north in Ontario stations have no ethanol in their gas. The reason why some have ethanol free premium and up north no ethanol is because there is not enough ethanol to go around and they even have to import some

from another forum..

"Torpedo Fishing Products for the past 2 years have been pushing Canadian Tire gas to provide ethanol free gas for all three gas grades. The benefits to Canadian Tire Gas outlets is not having to check twice a day for water levels in the main tank which is a huge cost when considering it is a nation wide company.

The main issue was with the government as they have an agenda for ethanol. A loophole was found as not enough ethanol is being produced in Canada to provide all gas stations with 10% ethanol, so ethanol would have to be bought from outside Canada. As some have known Shell gas has taken advantage of this loophole by providing ethanol free gas in their premium blend.

After extensive government talks, it was agreed that Canadian Tire must provide Ethanol gas for 12 locations while the rest can be ethanol free. This will last until Canada produces enough ethanol satisfy it's agenda.

I have checked all of the Canadian Tire gas bars in London Ontario and all are ethanol free.

Here is how you check. First you can ask the attendant how often they check their gas for water. If they tell you twice a day then that gas station has not converted to ethanol free gas. If they check the tanks once a week or once every two weeks then that gas station has changed over to ethanol free gas at all blends. The other way to check for your own personal satisfaction is as follows. Take a 500ml water bottle and leave 1.5 inches of water in the bottle and mark that water line with a magic marker. Then fill the water bottle with gas to 3/4's full. Then shake the water bottle. Let the fluid settle and if the water level has risen then there is ethanol. If the water level stays the same then you have ethanol free gas. "

I asked the clerk at petrocanada if the 94 octane had ethanol and he said without hesitation no..I fully expected him to not know so maybe there is no ethanol in the 94

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
hmm first hit on google says petrocanada 94 has ethanol, guess I'm looking for a new gas station

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
I was sadly disappointed to learn that my go to Ultra 94 ( from the Sunoco days ) had ethanol..........time to scrape that sticker off the tool box.

i now run the shell 91 in my toys and small engines of the yard tools.

thank you Steve for that link

Reactions: 1 user

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
It makes sense that something rated as 94 octane would have alcohol/ethanol in it as adding something with a higher octane (ethanol is ~109 I think?)should raise the average octane.

For example if we take a mixture of 10% 109 octane ethanol and 90% 92 octane gasoline we get:

(.1 * 109) + (.9 * 92) = 93.7 ~= 94 octane

Oddly enough around here (corn belt Nebraska) we only have mostly pure 92 octane, supposedly pure 87, 10% ethanol 89, and of course quite a few E85 stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor