It's not a G body, but it's pretty cool...my newest project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Re: It's not a G body, but it's pretty cool...my newest proj

Summer has come and gone and I realized I haven't posted any updates on my hot rod truck project.

I thought I had solved the Holley issues, but it started acting up again after I re-wired the truck.
Replaced it with a Quadrajet and, other than needing to adjust the choke/high idle settings, it runs great.

I removed the rear end panel and the "school bus" tail lights and installed 32 Ford tail lights.

Before:
10351419243_0313b38ac3_b.jpg

After:
15820172771_6a7f80aa84_b.jpg

I think it still needs a tail panel, but what I have in mind will be much less massive looking that what was on the truck when I bought it.

I re-wired the truck with a Rebel wiring kit and everything works properly.

I replaced the fiberglass grille shell with a new steel shell from Brookville.

Here it is before modification and painting:
15822036005_fb36ffa51c_b.jpg

And the finished shell:
15636653148_475bf7225a_b.jpg

I also replaced the small headlights with these 10" diameter lights that you see above.

Replaced the 10" tall shifter stick and the Camaro steering wheel with a 16" tall shifter and a 16" diameter Jeep steering wheel; I think it looks much more "truck-like" AND it's easier to drive/steer!

Before:
10028807723_effafd771a_b.jpg

After:

15820173891_22c1687be9_b.jpg

I finally drove the truck more than 1 block from my house for the first time last week!

I drove it about 10 miles to its winter home; the truck drives, stops and steers straight.

I need to revise my seat mounts to drop the seat position down about three inches. When I'm driving, my line of sight is too high and I have to hunch down to see through the windshield.

I thought I had mocked it up properly, but I realize that I did the mock-up while the truck was on my garage lift (about 20" above the floor).
My line of sight seemed perfect, but I was looking down toward the floor. DOH!

Next steps are to revise the seat, get the speedometer working and then do a little bit of body repair.
I think I'm also going to make some stake sides for the bed.

The truck is put away for the winter.

I think it's coming along nicely!

15636886697_048d4abf32_b.jpg

15820173891_22c1687be9_b.jpg

15202630023_0958b48612_b.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

What a cool looking truck, Joe.
I like the upgrades that you've done so far. I think it would look cool with wooden stake sides.
Keep up the good work.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b

Nice truck. I like the rear bumper swap looks better now. Keep up the good work.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

Cool little truck and I really like the direction you've taken it. Love the flatbed. Is it safe to assume that this was originally downsized from a bigger truck? The frame and running boards would suggest that.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan

Yes, the frame came from a very late AA 1 1/2T (serial number in the 5,600,000 neighborhood!)

It had been shortened to a 112" wheelbase.

I originally thought about removing the flatbed and installing a 33/34 box, but that would require a lot more work than I want to tackle at this time.
The fuel tank is mounted immediately behind the cab. The tank takes up quite a bit of the space that would be occupied by a pick-up bed, so in addition to buying a box I would also be replacing the fuel tank, extending or replacing the running boards and (probably) adding rear fenders.

Plus, the more I looked at it with the flatbed, the more it grew on me.
Now, I'm planning to make stake sides and rear gate to keep the "little big truck" vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor