Judge Mills' 81' El Camino Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
These are Cragar Soft 8's, 17", 8" wide.

The tires are Federal Super Steel 595's, 245-45-17. I'm thinking I may go a little bigger in the rear, but I'll have to research how big I can go on these wheels. I chose these tires because I'd have to travel about 3 hours round trip to get name brand at a good price, and these don't get all that bad of reviews. They are probably much more tire than I need!
I'm pretty sure a 255 wide is about the biggest for a 8" wheel. At least that's what I've seen and am gonna squeeze onto my new american racing rims. I tried to find the federal's in the sizes i need and didn't see anything for a 225/50/17 or a 255/45/17 which is what i wanna run front and rear.
Scott

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I'm pretty sure a 255 wide is about the biggest for a 8" wheel. At least that's what I've seen and am gonna squeeze onto my new american racing rims. I tried to find the federal's in the sizes i need and didn't see anything for a 225/50/17 or a 255/45/17 which is what i wanna run front and rear.
Scott

Dang, good to know. That's probably an oddball size. Well, I can run it this way, then if I ever wear out the tires, I'll probably want new wheels anyway. Ha!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Dang, good to know. That's probably an oddball size. Well, I can run it this way, then if I ever wear out the tires, I'll probably want new wheels anyway. Ha!
Hey, looks good the way it sits. Honestly, the cragars look bigger than 17's that's why i asked....maybe it's the design. The tires look aggressive for sure.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Hey, looks good the way it sits. Honestly, the cragars look bigger than 17's that's why i asked....maybe it's the design. The tires look aggressive for sure.

Yeah, I had a friend asked why I put 20's on there. What's funny is that my Audi has 17's, and my Expedition and work F150 have 17's, and they look normal. Something about old iron that gives it a different look I guess

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Alright, here it is, sitting on all 4.

opAHnKD.jpg

UAbM3tp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Bossmanivy

n00b
Jul 13, 2016
I like it! If all goes as planned, I'll be dragging my first el camino home this weekend. Ironically, It's an 81 and I'm paying $900 as well. I chuckled about that when I read your first post. Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor